Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science Themed Halloween Costumes

1. Sep 28, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2
    They showed this Big Bang episode the other night where Sheldon went to a halloween party as the Doppler Effect:

https://zingyzangyzongy.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/2011-12-01_224449.jpg?w=549&h=558

Anyone who adopts this will be dressed as BOTH Sheldon and the Doppler Effect.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    Oct 31st is almost here. What is everyone going to be? I'm still working on it :(

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Hallowe'en is my only holiday of the year. Unfortunately, I can no longer participate (unless... hmmm....). Two years ago, I had my night planned and was tying my shoes to go to the bar. Couldn't make it through the tying, called 911, and ended up in IC for 3 weeks. That was the second stint; the first involved dying, recovering, being in a coma for 4 days, and then the 3 weeks in IC. Subsequent endeavours have involved the emergency ward only, without the need for admittance. Anyhow... I remember so many people in Emergency asking about who had beaten me up, and I couldn't figure out why. About 4 or 5 hours later I had to hit the urinal and took a look in the mirror as I was washing my hands. It was only then that I realized that the paramedics had unglued the alien-face appliance from me, but not removed the black make-up from around my eyes or the shredded latex adhesive. :D
    The caveat from the first line is that the bartender and staff of the place that I would like to go are all good friends who will let me in the back door, hide my walker, and let me plug my oxygen generator into the bar's blender socket. I modified a backpack to carry the thing, so all that I would really need to do is whip up a quick "hunchback/Igor" facial appliance, make a sack-cloth hooded robe, and use the generator as my hump.
    Unfortunately, it takes me at least 2 hours to get out of my house at the best of times, such as to go shopping. Also, I have not yet been able to obtain my flu shot, and catching that would be guaranteed death for me.
    If anyone else is interested, I figured out a few years ago, after decades of thinking, how to make a Pearson's Puppeteer costume. I'd have one of the bloody things and have worn it by now if not for circumstances beyond my control. I'll be glad to post design guides as long as anyone using such gives me credit for the idea.

6. Oct 23, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Stop the presses! I just came up with the perfect costume for myself, which will cost nothing and require no effort: the Invisible Man. All that I have to do is get a buddy to stand around in the bar all night talking to thin air. When the contest rolls around and he reveals that he's been talking to me all along, I'll win first prize for sure... without even getting out of bed.

7. Oct 29, 2014 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the idea of invisible man! Let your friend wear some glasses with a camera and microphone/earbud, that way he can talk to the invisible man (incredible how you can, see right through me) and you can be part of the fun. Two years ago must've been one scary night.

I would like to dress up like beaker, but there is no way I can make such a costume. Maybe just wear a lab coat and be the nerdy scientist, that requires minimal effort :D

8. Oct 29, 2014 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I'm going as ##\gamma^5##.

9. Oct 29, 2014 #8
    Beaker scared the crap out me as a kid, probably uncanny valley to the max. But what really scared me, more so creeps now, is this from courage the cowardly dog. I remember it vividly as 7, home alone, watching the tube. Loud volume, suddenly in the show THIS pops up out of nowhere! Press crap load of buttons to turn off, static turns on, (runs behind couch plugging ears lol.) For three years I would put blankets over me, probably losing oxygen to my brain.Incidentally, this was their last episode, they really made a good one. Blair Witch has nothing on me, it's the bizarre that does.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QU-Kf7ZIYI

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. Oct 29, 2014 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then I'll go as ##\gamma_5##.

11. Oct 29, 2014 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

We can be twinsies!

12. Oct 30, 2014 #11

Danger

Gold Member

It wasn't scary as such, just incredibly dismaying. I was really looking forward to what I figured would be my last Hallowe'en party and I had to miss it. At least I didn't die that time, like the time before, although I expected to. The only thing that would have scared me, I had made arrangements for after the first incident; someone had keys to enter my home and feed Lucy. I can die happy any time as long as I know that my cat is safe.

Do you mean "Beaker' the Muppet, or "beaker' the pyrex laboratory dish? Your head is definitely too short for the former, but I really love the idea of you wearing something transparent. (Oh, hell, sorry... considering your reaction to my joke about nude beaches, I shouldn't have said that. But... it's in my nature and I'm prepared to suffer the consequences.)
    I did consider doing the radio thing for the invisible man, along with having a low-visibility wire-frame mannequin dressed up and cantilevered from a framework worn by the henchman. Immediately thereafter, though, I realized that the same could be accomplished without an audio/visual link if the friend happens to be a ventriloquist. :D

The only thing that ever scared the crap out of me as a kid (and not that young—13 or so) was a Kleenex box. (Take as long as you need to laugh that out of your system, then come back to the thread for the explanation.) We came out to where I now live on vacation and I slept on the couch at our friends' house. Just before going to sleep, I watched an episode of "The Twilight Zone" of which the only thing I can remember is a glowing green oval that killed people. (As described; this was before colour TV.) So... I woke up in the middle of the night face to face with the oval opening of a Kleenex box on the coffee table and damned near karked my drawers. :rolleyes:

Monique, I know that it's too late now, but I'll gladly talk/draw you through whatever it takes to make any costume that you want to any time. The Muppet-type Beaker would just use the same principles as any sports or corporate mascot. Couch-cushion foam and felt fabric are most of the ingredients. The foam is easily carved with an electric kitchen knife, and I rather suspect that you know how to sew.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  13. Oct 31, 2014 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good thing what you arranged for Lucy, but I hope to see you around for a long time.

Hehe, very funny (sarcasm). Just not so funny when you're regularly harassed by strangers making sexist remarks. There's a movement to make it punishable by law, which would be a good thing.

Thanks! But I don't have access to any of those and can't sew, but I'll keep it in mind.

14. Oct 31, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

oo)
    My previous jokes about the Netherlands not being a developed country aside, how on Earth could you not have access to foam rubber and cloth? You do have furniture over there, don't you?
    As for sewing... if you can physically hold a needle, you can sew. I'll walk you through it if necessary.

15. Oct 31, 2014 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you think we wear wooden shoes?

16. Oct 31, 2014 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Because you told me, several months ago when I expressed surprise at learning you are Dutch... and I quote, "I was born wearing wooden shoes."
    Of course I know that isn't the actuality, but I can't see how you can be offended by me referencing something that you said yourself.
    It was actually the same thread that led to me being banned because of the remark about nude sunbathing, which I saw nothing wrong with since Dutch beaches are almost all topless. None of those things are controversial in my country, and we were always led to believe that Europeans were more sophisticated and open-minded.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  17. Oct 31, 2014 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase: do you think I have access to foam rubber and cloth, when we still walk around on wooden shoes? My English is not so good to bring across the joke.

18. Oct 31, 2014 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Hold on, now! Are you telling me now, after all of the years that I've considered you the English language guru, that you aren't fluent in it? Or is it that you know Yank-speak but don't understand Canadians? If the problem between us all along has been a language barrier, then I really regret that I didn't know about it earlier. I've always thought that you understood everything that I wrote with crystal clarity, and couldn't figure out why you reacted so vehemently to some of my posts.
    Forget the damned shoes; they never even factored into this particular conversation. I mentioned furniture because an upholstery shop is where you can get couch-cushion foam, and any fabric shop in my country carries, or can rapidly obtain, felt. Even school supply shops carry it, because it's what the really wee ones use to make art projects (slap the little black-and-white felt cow onto the green felt pasture and maybe cut a little barn out of red felt...) It's great for that because it sticks to itself without any messy adhesives. It also happens to make the most natural-looking biological items such as people and animals of any other types of cloth.

19. Oct 31, 2014 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm fluent, but there are expressions and intonations that don't translate well. The other day I insulted my German supervisor, while I was trying to express my gratitude. She was very angry with me and I received back a rant e-mail :s:rolleyes:

20. Oct 31, 2014 #19

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Go as a viva committee. That's enough to scare the life out of most scientists.

21. Oct 31, 2014 #20
    Klomps?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook