Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientists reaching The End of Insight

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2
    Re: Scientists reaching "The End of Insight"

Only a non-scientist who doesn't understand science, and has never actually tried to replace smart thinking people with machines crunching through piles of data, would write such an article.

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3

Zing!

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4

In all seriousness though, is it not ridiculous to state that "scientists are nearing the end of insight." How would someone even be able to determine that? Ridiculous.

6. Oct 1, 2011 #5

Such claims usually pop up just before some great discovery that shows how little yet we know.

7. Oct 1, 2011 #6

Journalists reaching the end of sanity.

8. Oct 1, 2011 #7

This looks like a program which searches a 'symbolic space' for the most fitting mathematical formula. I doubt it can find any 'very hard' relation on a dataset. Probably, it may have applications in control theory where people now often mess around with simple PID controllers to solve about anything; it looks like a great tool for that.

For computer to bypass humans my best guess is you need a completely different model for intelligence, like copying the human brain in an abstract manner. This has little to do with that. It's a lot of fuzz about a nice program.

9. Oct 1, 2011 #8

Even if we could start mass producing quantum computer tomorrow it'd still be awhile we could develop AI sophisticated enough to be true problem solvers. Perhaps we've reached the end of non-computer assisted insight?

10. Oct 1, 2011 #9

wow, so they wrote yet another curve-fitting application, declared themselves geniuses, and told all their dumbfounded writer friends about it. i'm having trouble controlling my incite for these goobers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook