Second derivative of an autonomous ODE

In summary, the conversation is about taking the second derivative of a given ODE and using the chain rule to do so. The solution is dependent on changes in y, and the second derivative with respect to x can be found by using the original equation to eliminate dy/dx. The chain rule is needed because the equation is autonomous.
MurdocJensen
Alright. So I have dy/dx = -1-y2. I want to take the second derivative to get some information about the concavity of the solution, but I can't wrap my head around what's really going on.

What I think I know: I have an ODE that is dependent on the dependent variable, so my solution will only change with changes in the value of y.

What I want to know: How is dy/dx (the derivative of y(x) with respect to x) dependent completely on y? How do I take the second derivative with respect to x when I have no x in the first derivative? Do I have an x nested in y in the derivative?

I get the feeling I'm missing something really simple. If you find it enough to just give me a hint, I'm definitely cool with that. More in depth answers are awesome too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that y still depends on x. So, use the chain rule.

After you have differentiated the equation (using the chain rule), you can then use the original equation to eliminate dy/dx.

That will give you d^2y/dx^2 = a function of y only.

Why not just separate variables?

Thanks for the information. Here's what I have:

1) dy/dx = -1-y2

2) d2y/dx2 = -2y(y') = -2y(-1-y2) = 2y+y3

Yea?

So I am technically differentiating a derivative with respect to x. Because this D.E. is autonomous, doing this means I need to differentiate, using the chain rule, with respect to y (a function whose independent variable is x).

Last edited:
That looks good to me.

1. What is a second derivative of an autonomous ODE?

The second derivative of an autonomous ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) refers to the rate of change of the derivative of a function with respect to its independent variable. In simpler terms, it measures the acceleration of a function at a specific point.

2. How is the second derivative of an autonomous ODE calculated?

The second derivative of an autonomous ODE can be calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative. In other words, it is the derivative of the derivative.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative in an autonomous ODE?

The second derivative is important in understanding the behavior of a function. It can help determine the concavity and inflection points of a curve, which are crucial in solving many real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can the second derivative of an autonomous ODE be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of an autonomous ODE can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave down at that point, meaning that the slope is decreasing.

5. How does the second derivative relate to the stability of an autonomous ODE?

The second derivative can be used to determine the stability of an autonomous ODE. If the second derivative is positive, the function is stable, meaning that it will return to its equilibrium point after being disturbed. If the second derivative is negative, the function is unstable, meaning that it will diverge from its equilibrium point when disturbed.