1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Opinion On Logical Puzzle Needed

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    So I have got answers to this logical puzzle. However, I feel ill and slow. I have checked this over and over and I am 80% it is totally correct. To make sure I would like a second opinion. Do you get the same answers?

The puzzle is in quotes:

"Vera, Winifred, Xanthippe, Yvette and Zelda are all women living in different UK cities (From West to East: Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, Oxford, London). They all have different shoe sizes (4,5,6,7,8) and have favourite foods (pizza, curry, pasta, sorbet and cake). Given the following clues, can you work out where each woman lives, how what size shoe she takes and what her favourite food is?

The smallest shoe is worn by either Vera or Yvette

Xanthippe's closest Western neighbour is a pizza lover; she also has a friend to the West who takes size 7 shoes

The Bristolian likes curry while Winifred prefers a dessert.

Xanthippe lives to the East of the lady with the largest feet, but this is not Zelda or Winifred (Yvette's neighbour-but-one to the East)

Vera lives in Oxford; the Welsh lady* likes cake.

Zelda's feet are only just bigger that Yvette's but only just smaller than the lady who likes pasta"

oh and btw Cardiff is in Wales. And the order from west to east is as follows

Cardiff - Bristol - Bath - Oxford - London

here are my answers
    Vera
    Oxford
    Pizza

Winifred
    Bath
    Sorbet

Xanthippe
    London
    Pasta

Zelida
    Bristol
    Curry

Yuette
    Cardiff
    Cake

Thank you for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Your answer appears consistent with the clues.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your time. I'm very thankful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook