Self-studying quantum mechanics

In summary, if you want to become a condensed matter physicist, you should work on understanding the concepts slowly, take notes when you are reading or watching lectures, and focus on problems from a good textbook.
amjad-sh
Hello.
I'm studying quantum mechanics by my own.
I'm targeting to be a condensed matter physicist.
What is the best way to grasp the concepts as fast as possible,and what should I do to become a good physicist in the near future?
Thanks.

Note: I've got a bachelor degree in physics but I stopped a couple of years,and since a year ago I'm reestablishing my knowledge in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
amjad-sh said:
What is the best way to grasp the concepts as fast as possible
Not being in any hurry.

Likes amjad-sh and Dr. Courtney
amjad-sh said:
Hello.
I'm studying quantum mechanics by my own.
I'm targeting to be a condensed matter physicist.
What is the best way to grasp the concepts as fast as possible,and what should I do to become a good physicist in the near future?
Thanks.

Note: I've got a bachelor degree in physics but I stopped a couple of years,and since a year ago I'm reestablishing my knowledge in physics.

I don't quite understand this question. Shouldn't you already KNOW QM to have a degree in physics? Even if you are rusty in it, you should have an idea of what it is and what is involved, since you should have studied it before. I can understand wanting a refresher material to get you back up to speed, but it is puzzling that you are asking for ways to grasp the concepts as fast as possible. Usually, the concepts stays even if you forget the details and the ability to work out a problem.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I don't quite understand this question. Shouldn't you already KNOW QM to have a degree in physics? Even if you are rusty in it, you should have an idea of what it is and what is involved, since you should have studied it before. I can understand wanting a refresher material to get you back up to speed, but it is puzzling that you are asking for ways to grasp the concepts as fast as possible. Usually, the concepts stays even if you forget the details and the ability to work out a problem.

Zz.

This is true, but the goal of my question is what the path I should take to really grasp QM not only the basics(I have an idea about it and I have understood a lot of concepts). What parts in QM I should focus on or I really need to understand solid state physics or condensed matter physics in general?

Krylov said:
Not being in any hurry.

I'm Learning the subject as slowly as it should be to really understand the concepts, but do u have any tips for the journey to be as efficient as possible?

amjad-sh said:
I'm Learning the subject as slowly as it should be to really understand the concepts, but do u have any tips for the journey to be as efficient as possible?

Work lots and lots of problems from a good textbook.

Keep the pencil moving by taking notes when reading or watching video lectures.

Learning "efficiency" will always be higher when your pencil is moving in a meaningful way.

Likes amjad-sh
Dr. Courtney said:
Work lots and lots of problems from a good textbook.

Keep the pencil moving by taking notes when reading or watching video lectures.

Learning "efficiency" will always be higher when your pencil is moving in a meaningful way.

Thanks!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, and their relation to energy and matter. It is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of matter and energy on the atomic and subatomic level.

2. Why is it important to study quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is essential for understanding many phenomena in the natural world, including the behavior of atoms and molecules, the properties of materials, and the workings of electronic devices. It also serves as the foundation for many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory.

3. Can I study quantum mechanics on my own?

Yes, it is possible to self-study quantum mechanics with the proper resources and dedication. However, a strong background in mathematics and physics is necessary to fully understand the concepts and equations involved.

4. What are some recommended resources for self-studying quantum mechanics?

Some helpful resources for self-studying quantum mechanics include textbooks such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. Online courses and lectures, such as those offered by MIT OpenCourseWare or Khan Academy, can also be valuable tools.

5. What are some key concepts to focus on when self-studying quantum mechanics?

Some important concepts to prioritize when self-studying quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the Schrödinger equation, and quantum entanglement. It is also essential to have a solid understanding of linear algebra and calculus to fully grasp the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics.