Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of smoking at the workplace and how it affects productivity and work hours. One person shares their experience of being reprimanded for smoking a cigarette before their official finish time, despite coming in 30 minutes early on their own time to help out. They also mention their job being on an honor system and always putting in 40 hours, even if they work more. The conversation also touches on the issue of smokers taking multiple breaks, and a study that suggests it may actually increase productivity. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the frustration and unfairness of the situation and questions the work environment and management's actions.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To senior management no less for smoking a ciggy 5 mins before my official finish time, no comment however that i came in 30 mins early on my own time to help out, no comment on all the times i have been asked to help out out side my work hours, well you can guess what i will say to management if this is actioned.

Physics news on Phys.org

I completely agree. I'm alway doing work, after work. My job is on the honor system I don't clock in and most the time I don't have to go into the office, so I just write down at the end of the week how many hours I worked and I always just put 40 hours so I guess I screw myself out of the extra time and can't really complain. We should get roll over minutes. If we come in fifteen minutes early every day for a month take the next day off.
On the other hand you couldn't wait five minutes for a cigarette?

That is BS.

I occasionally smoke pot at work, and it's not a problem. Better for you than nasty cigarettes as well.

Forget the fact that you keep driving the forklift down the stairs

tribdog said:
I completely agree. I'm alway doing work, after work. My job is on the honor system I don't clock in and most the time I don't have to go into the office, so I just write down at the end of the week how many hours I worked and I always just put 40 hours so I guess I screw myself out of the extra time and can't really complain. We should get roll over minutes. If we come in fifteen minutes early every day for a month take the next day off.
On the other hand you couldn't wait five minutes for a cigarette?

I could wait, it is just every thing that could be done had been done, on the other shifts the canteen is the office, i just think some one got out of bed the wrong side and decided to be
petty.

See, we keep telling you smoking is bad for you. :biggrin: Though, that is sad that they report you for basically finishing your shift a bit early since you started early.

What kind of a nasty back-stabbing place do you work at Wolram?

Smokers where I work spend 4 hours a day outside puffing away. They might as well, the rest are inside playing on the internet.

Evo said:
What kind of a nasty back-stabbing place do you work at Wolram?

Smokers where I work spend 4 hours a day outside puffing away. They might as well, the rest are inside playing on the internet.

Well i am going to wear a stab vest from now on, it seems there must be some new crawlers working here and they are desperate for points.

Holocene said:
That is BS.

I occasionally smoke pot at work, and it's not a problem. Better for you than nasty cigarettes as well.

Do you happen to work in a marijuana plantation site?

About the smoking thing, you should blame the government for banning smoking indoors :biggrin:

That'll teach you to smoke at work. Next time you want to smoke make sure you bring enough for everybody.

I had a job once where I used to work my *** off compared to all of the other jerks there. I was constantly having to clean up after them and do all of the stuff they didn't feel like doing. But somehow just about every time my boss showed up I was in the middle of my break. With out considering anything else he would more or less assume I must not be doing much work.

It is best to follow rules and regulations while working with large # of people.

I directly work under my employer, and he knows how much I work. I can easily take days off or take weekend on Wednesday.

Evo said:
Smokers where I work spend 4 hours a day outside puffing away.
It's like that in the office building where I work too. I really need to take up smoking. Life is so much easier when you're a smoker (until the cancer, of course, but that won't happen for another 50 years).

Did you see that study where it showed that multiple smoke breaks actually made for more productive workers? They are energized by the 5 or 10 minutes away from working and come back ready to work at high speed. Non smokers who didn't get the breaks got slower and slower as the day wore on. I totally made this up and I apologize, but it could be true.

tribdog said:
Did you see that study where it showed that multiple smoke breaks actually made for more productive workers? They are energized by the 5 or 10 minutes away from working and come back ready to work at high speed. Non smokers who didn't get the breaks got slower and slower as the day wore on. I totally made this up and I apologize, but it could be true.
No worries 98% of all studies are made up anyways.

There was a recent study about breaks increasing productivity, but after a certain point, you're just taking hours out of the day (and I do mean hours). That's the problem with workplace smoking. People really do spend a lot of time doing it.
The smoking ban could increase productivity by 10% - 14%, according to Julie Walsh, partner of top twenty accountancy firm...

http://www.kingstonsmith.co.uk/Kingston-Smith/Media+Centre/Press+Releases/Smoking+Ban+Could+Increase+Productivity+by+up+to+fourteen+percent.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy"?

"Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy" refers to a situation where a senior member of a company's management team is caught smoking a cigarette, causing potential backlash and repercussions.

Why is this phrase used?

This phrase is used to highlight the potential consequences and controversy that can arise when someone in a high-ranking position, such as senior management, is caught engaging in a behavior that is generally viewed as harmful or socially unacceptable.

What are the typical reactions to "Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy"?

The reactions to this situation can vary, but they often include surprise, disappointment, and criticism. Some may also view it as a reflection of the company's values and leadership.

How can "Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy" impact a company?

This situation can have a negative impact on a company's reputation and credibility, especially if the company has publicized policies against smoking. It can also cause tension and division within the company, particularly if there are differing opinions on the issue.

What can companies do to address "Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy"?

To prevent or address this situation, companies can have clear policies and expectations regarding smoking and other controversial behaviors. They can also provide resources and support for employees who want to quit smoking or engage in healthier habits.