Sequence in Hilbert space,example

In summary, The conversation is about finding a bounded sequence in the l^2 Hilbert space that weakly converges to 0 but does not have any convergent subsequences. The unit cube in the Hilbert space l^2 is given as an example, as it does not have a finite ε-net and the √2 distance acts as a barrier to being Cauchy. The second part of the conversation discusses the sequence converging weakly, with the conclusion that any sequence in a Hilbert space will converge weakly to zero if it is a maximal orthonormal set.
shotgun07
Hi. I`m working on some exercises but I could`t find any clue for this one:

Find a bounded sequence (as like the norm) in l^2 Hilbert space,that weakly converges to 0 (as like the weak topology)
but doesn`t have any convergent subsequences (as in strong topology).
Could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the unit cube in Hilbert space l^2:{ei:=δij}, i.e., ei

has a 1 in the i-th position and is 0 otherwise, is an example: for one thing, it does

not have a finite ε-net for ε <1/2, say, since the l2-distance is √2, so that it

cannot have convergent subsequences -- the √2 distance is a barrier to being Cauchy.

I forgot the second part, about the sequence converging weakly:

first , in l2:

We need to show:

Limn→∞ <en, an>=<0,an>=0

But notice that the product on the left equals the n-th term of a sequence an

in l2. Since an is square-summable, it is Cauchy, so that

its n-th term goes to zero as n→ ∞.

But this sequence {en}=(δij)j=1,...,∞ converges weakly

to zero in _any_ Hilbert space:

Let h be an element in any Hilbert space H. Then, since {en} is a maximal

orthonormal set, it is a Hamel basis for H . Then h is a finite linear combination of the

basis elements in {en}. Let ek be the largest index in the

linear combination. Then, when n>k , < en,h>=0.

h=Ʃ

What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that describes an abstract vector space with certain properties. It is named after German mathematician David Hilbert and is widely used in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

What is a sequence in Hilbert space?

A sequence in Hilbert space is a collection of vectors that are arranged in a specific order and satisfy certain mathematical properties. These sequences are used to represent elements in a Hilbert space and are essential in understanding the properties of the space.

Can you provide an example of a sequence in Hilbert space?

One example of a sequence in Hilbert space is the Fourier series, which is used to represent periodic functions. The coefficients of the Fourier series form a sequence in Hilbert space, and the series itself converges to the original function in the space.

What is the importance of sequences in Hilbert space?

Sequences in Hilbert space are important because they allow us to represent elements in the space in a concise and organized manner. They also help us understand the properties of the space and its elements, which have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

Are there any real-life applications of sequences in Hilbert space?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of sequences in Hilbert space. Some examples include signal processing, image recognition, and data compression. Sequences in Hilbert space are also used in quantum computing and machine learning algorithms.