Series of GR questions about universe expansion

In summary, the relationship between space (or spacetime) and matter is giving me some trouble. If the universe was created (all its matter) in a planktime explosion then the force of said matter must be driving the expansion of space itself. However, if the universe is expanding then matter must be moving along with the expansion, and it's not possible for matter to exist outside of spacetime.
lobro2002
The relationship between space (or spacetime) and matter is giving me some trouble. If the universe was created (all its matter) in a planktime explosion then the force of said matter must be driving the expansion of space itself. I view the matter as pressing against the walls of space and exerting force on them, thusly driving its expansion. Or does space expand without the aid of the matter contained in it? At what rate is spacetime expanding relative to the the matter contained inside? I can't imagine any matter could move faster than this initial spatial expansion. How could matter exist outside of spacetime?

I'll save my questions about matter on larger scales (galaxies) moving faster than the speed of light relative to one another for later; if someone can answer the exact rate of expansion of spacetime for me.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
lobro2002 said:
The relationship between space (or spacetime) and matter is giving me some trouble. If the universe was created (all its matter) in a planktime explosion then the force of said matter must be driving the expansion of space itself.

It's not an explosion.

The way that you start thinking about cosmology is to start with the assumptions of isotropic and homogenity. What that means is that any part of the universe is going to be the same as any other part of the universe.

Once you start with that assumption and you run the numbers, you find out that the universe can't be static for very long. Either the entire universe is expanding or the entire universe is contracting. It happens to be expanding.

If you imagine the universe expanding into something, then it's going to get confusing very quickly.

I'll save my questions about matter on larger scales (galaxies) moving faster than the speed of light relative to one another for later; if someone can answer the exact rate of expansion of spacetime for me.

I don't like thinking in terms of a "rubber sheet" in which "space time" expands. I think it's more confusing than anything else.

lobro2002 said:
Or does space expand without the aid of the matter contained in it?

No, the expansion and matter content are related through the equations governing gravity. If the matter is "normal stuff" (not dark energy or anything like that) then the gravitational pull of the matter causes the expansion to slow down.
lobro2002 said:
At what rate is spacetime expanding relative to the the matter contained inside?
Matter is on average moving along with the expansion. It may be easier for you to visualize this if you stop thinking about spacetime as a thing of it's own, and just think abstractly about the distances between dust particles. Don't think that there's something which is expanding, but instead just say that the distances are growing.
lobro2002 said:
I can't imagine any matter could move faster than this initial spatial expansion. How could matter exist outside of spacetime?

That would indeed not make much sense.

lobro2002 said:
It might be prudent to use the search tool in the forums for this one; this question is quite popular.

1. What is the current understanding of the rate of universe expansion?

According to current observations and measurements, the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This means that the distance between galaxies is increasing at a faster and faster pace over time.

2. How does dark energy play a role in the expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is believed to be the dominant force driving the accelerated expansion of the universe. It is a mysterious energy that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and has the ability to counteract the force of gravity, causing the expansion to accelerate.

3. Can the expansion of the universe be measured?

Yes, the expansion of the universe can be measured through various methods such as observing the redshift of light from distant galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and using standard candles like Type Ia supernovae. These measurements allow scientists to track the expansion rate over time.

4. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on current understanding, it is believed that the universe will continue to expand forever. However, the rate of expansion may change over time due to the influence of various factors such as dark energy and the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. How does the expansion of the universe impact the fate of the universe?

The expansion of the universe has a significant impact on the fate of the universe. If the expansion continues at an accelerating rate, it is likely that the universe will experience a "Big Rip" in which all matter is torn apart. If the expansion slows down or stops, the universe may eventually collapse in a "Big Crunch" or reach a stable state known as the "Big Freeze."