1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set theory: proofs regarding power sets

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    Let X be an arbitrary set and P(X) the set of all its subsets, prove that if ∀ A,B ∈ P(X) the sets A∩B,A∪B are also ∈ P(X).

I really don't know how to get started on this proof but I tried to start with something like this:
    ∀ m,n ∈ A,B ⇒
    m,n ∈ X ⇒

Is this the right way to start on this proof? A hint on how to get further with this would really be appreciated.

Stefan

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Try to use the fact that EVERY subset of X is in P(X). Can you see how that helps?

4. Jul 24, 2014 #3
    @verty, thanks for your reply;

So if A,B ∈ P(X) ⇒ A,B ⊂ X, and since every subset of X is in P(X), A∩B,A∪B are also in P(X)?

Stefan

5. Jul 24, 2014 #4

Yes, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to show that this union and intersection are subsets of X, despite the triviality.

6. Jul 24, 2014 #5
    Thanks for you reply!

That's where it get stuck I'm afraid, I cannot link the Union and Intersection to X with the given information.

Stefan

7. Jul 24, 2014 #6
    Approach it like an introductory set theory proof.

Pick an element x in A intersect B. Show that this is in X.

Pick an element y in A union B. Show that this is in X.

For the first one, suppose that x is in A intersect B. Then x is in A and x is in B. Now what?

Remember that you know that A and B are subsets of X - they are in its power set!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted