Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seventy-three-year-old college basketball player disqualified

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...because he bombed in a Spanish class! Bummer!!!

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/73-year-old-basketball-player-ruled-ineligible/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2
    I saw him on the news a few nights ago, I was giving him the mental "You go dawg", so this news is disheartening. I hope he gets to play again soon.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This could only happen in the NJCAA. Or maybe the NAIA.

In the NCAA, you only have 5 years to complete 4 years of competition from the time a player first enrolls in college. If a person hasn't attended college, they start losing 1 year of eligibility for each year over 21. Wasn't that an issue with a Florida St quarterback several years ago? (I think he only lost one year of eligibility, but he was in his mid-20s, making him worth less in the NFL draft)

As a result, you never see 73-year-olds playing in the NCAA Tournament, much less playing for a championship team.

Personally, I think the NCAA could be sued for age discrimination.

Note: There is an exception for military service and I remember an article from years ago about a placekicker playing on the same team as his son.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook