Shane Warne Retires: Farewell to a Cricket Legend

  • Thread starter Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
neutrino
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
2
I can imagine most of you going "Who's that?" :rolleyes:

He's an Australian cricketer, a spin bowler, one of the legends of the game who played his last game today. (members from the UK will be aware of that :-p )

Here's a short clip about him
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9-cQ6ZkeYY

Two other Australian players also retired today; Glenn McGrath, probably the best fast bowler in contemporary cricket, and Justin Langer, their opening batsman.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFpBlzRCKk8

These guys will surely be missed on the field. (umm... the English probably wouldn't agree with me :biggrin: - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/6231701.stm )
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Having watched cricket since young, I'd say that anyone who watches cricket but can't appreciate what these fellows have done for the game needs to educate themselves. In particular, if not for Shane Warne, the game might have shifted away from spin bowling to a more orthodox format, which I think would be a great loss.
 
neutrino said:
members from the UK will be aware of that :-p

As an Englishman, I'd rather not talk about cricket at the moment. It's shameful!

Still, the game will definitely miss Shane Warne- he's an utter legend!
 
Can't stand the Australian team (e.g., what happened at at the ICC Champions Trophy presentation ceremony), but have always liked Warne.
 
Apart from their talent in playing cricket, I can't stand anything about them.
 
neutrino said:
Apart from their talent in playing cricket, I can't stand anything about them.

Yes, I know that, because of his off-field escapades and doping suspension, I *shouldn't* like Warne.

When I was in grad school, I had a friend who too often engaged in unethical and immoral behaviour, but for some reason I couldn't help liking the guy.