1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar 14.4.1 using Ehrenfest's Theorem

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if
    [tex]H = -\gamma\mathbf{L\cdot B}[/tex], and B is position independent,

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \left \langle \mathbf{L} \right \rangle}{\mathrm{d} t}=\left \langle \boldsymbol\mu \times\mathbf{B} \right \rangle=\left \langle \boldsymbol\mu \right \rangle\times\mathbf{B}[/tex]

Here H is the Hamiltonian, B is the magnetic field, L is the angular momentum operator, mu is the magnetic moment, and gamma is the gyromagnetic ratio.

I want to solve this using Ehrenfest's theorem.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\boldsymbol\mu=\gamma\mathbf{L}[/tex]

[tex][L_i,L_j]=i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}L_k[/tex]
    (the fancy way of writing the usual angular momentum commutation relations)

and Ehrenfest's theorem:
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \left \langle Q \right \rangle}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{i}{\hbar}\left \langle [H,Q] \right \rangle+\left \langle \frac{\partial Q}{\partial t} \right \rangle[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, L has no explicit time dependence so the last term in Ehrenfest's theorem cancels. I seem to be getting a factor of 2 in [H,L] that shouldn't be there:

The x component of [H,L] is:
    [tex][H,L]_x=\gamma\left ( L_xL_xB_x+L_xL_yB_y+L_xL_zB_z - L_xB_xL_x-L_yB_yL_x-L_zB_zL_x \right )[/tex]

[tex]=\gamma i\hbar\left ( L_zB_y-L_yB_z +L_zB_y-L_yB_z \right )[/tex]
    Edit: ^^^^ This is my mistake.

[tex]= 2i\hbar\left ( \mu_zB_y-\mu_yB_z \right )=\frac{2\hbar}{i}(\boldsymbol\mu\times\mathbf{B})_x[/tex]
    and likewise for the other components.

Putting it together I get
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \left \langle \mathbf{L} \right \rangle}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left \langle [H,L]\right \rangle=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left \langle \frac{2\gamma\hbar}{i}\mathbf{L}\times\mathbf{B} \right \rangle=\left \langle 2\boldsymbol\mu\times\mathbf{B} \right \rangle[/tex]

and I'm left with that pesky two.

Where did I go wrong?

Edit: I found my error and pointed out where I went wrong above.

That line should be
    [tex][H,\mathbf{L}]_x=\gamma\left ((L_xL_y-L_yL_x)B_y+(L_xL_z-L_zL_x)B_z \right )=\gamma \left (i\hbar L_zB_y-i\hbar L_yB_z \right )=\frac{\hbar}{i}(\boldsymbol\mu \times\mathbf{B})_x[/tex]
    then everything works.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?