Shankar Exercise 2.5.1 - Hamiltonion

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Could someone get me started with Exercise 2.5.1 in Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?
    Does this forum support TeX or LaTeX?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. malawi_glenn

malawi_glenn 4,726
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Post the text of the problem for those of us who don't have the book, but might be willing to help you.

5. CompuChip

CompuChip 4,297
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ad 2: Yes, use the [ tex] tag (without the space):
    [tex] \left[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \nabla^2 + U(\mathbf{r}) \right] \psi (\mathbf{r}) = E \psi (\mathbf{r}). [/tex]

6. Show that if [tex] T = \sum_i\sum_jT_ij(q)q_i' q_j' [/tex], where [tex]q_i'[/tex]'s are generalized velocities, then [tex]\sum p_i q_i' = 2T [/tex].

7. malawi_glenn

malawi_glenn 4,726
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And was does the rest stand for?

Work done so far? etc.

8. T is kinetic energy and pi is the canonical momentum conjugate. Also, the apostrophes are derivatives. Sorry.

There is not much work done so far. I wanted someone to give me a hint or just get me started.

9. By the way, does anyone have Shankar's book? For a lot of his exercises you really need the context, so I want to know if I should keep posting questions from his book.

10. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since [itex] p_{i}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q^{i}} [/itex], i gues the result is pretty obvious, don't you think ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?