Shankar's principles of quantum mechanics solutions

In summary, Shankar's principles of quantum mechanics offers solutions to some of the most fundamental problems in the field, such as the behavior of particles at the atomic level and the uncertainty principle. It introduces key concepts and mathematical tools, such as wavefunctions and operators, to understand the behavior of quantum systems. The principles also provide a framework for understanding phenomena such as entanglement, superposition, and the measurement problem. Shankar's approach emphasizes the importance of symmetry and conservation laws in quantum mechanics, and provides a solid foundation for further study in the field.
The thinker
Is there anywhere I can get the missing solutions?

I'm just trying to solve the eigenvalue/vector problem for the spin operator in an arbitrary direction.

I keep screwing up the algebra but can't seem to find any explicit examples on how to do the flipping thing. I've tried 4 books!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question, I don't have the book to hand.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It asks you to work out the eigenvectors (I know the eigenvalues are +/- hbar/2) for:

http://itl.chem.ufl.edu/4412_u97/angular_mom/img245.gif

I know what the eigenvectors are, I am just not sure how to get them. I hope it's just some trigonometric identity I've forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this a one liner?
eigenvector is (a,b)
eigenvalue equation for +1 gives
a cos(t) + b sin(t) exp(-ip) = a
a sin(t) exp(-ip) - b cos(t) = b

rearrange the first equation to get: a = b*[sin(t) exp(-ip)]/[1+cos(t)]
that gives the ratio of the components for the eigenvector for +1.

you can faff about normalising them if you feel like it.
I'm prob missing out the bit you're stuck on?

Can anyone help me by solving this problem form
R Sankar-------Principles of quantum mechanics.

delta(f(x)) = Sum {delta(x-xi)/ abs(df/dx')} ; where xi is the roots of fx .

Does anyone have solution of R Sankar Book for
" Principles of quantum mechanics"

sanjay_eee_03 said:
Can anyone help me by solving this problem [...]
[tex]
\delta(f(x)) = \sum_\xi \frac{\delta(x-\xi)}{|f'(x)|}
[/tex]
where [itex]\xi[/itex] are the roots of f(x) .

I doubt anyone here will "solve" it for you. But if you invest some effort,
we might help you figure it out.

For starters, write down the definition of the delta fn.

Then, to get the idea, try to prove this simpler formula first:
[tex]
\delta(\alpha x) ~=~ \frac{\delta(x)}{|\alpha|}
[/tex]
(Oh, and try to write your formulas here in latex. No one wants to read messy unformatted math. I re-edited your original post to show you how to get started with latex on PF.)

I worked through every problem in that Shankar book, which I thought was a wonderful book.

I found solutions to a large majority of the problems simply by googling "shankar quantum mechanics homework solutions", or similar things along those lines.

It is a bit frustrating looking through the links finding you need passwords for some, others have links that are now old/broken, or etc., but with a bit of searching I bet you could fill in at least some of the problems.

I should probably add that the types of pages you are looking for is the website for a quantum mechanics class where the teacher posts the homework solutions.

1. What is Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a textbook that covers the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality, the Schrodinger equation, and the measurement problem.

2. Who is the author of Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The author of Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is Ramamurti Shankar, a theoretical physicist and professor at Yale University.

3. What is the purpose of Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The purpose of Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the principles of quantum mechanics, with a focus on the mathematical foundations and their applications in modern physics.

4. Are there solutions available for Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are solutions available for Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. These solutions are typically used by instructors as a teaching aid and can be found in the accompanying solutions manual or online.

5. Is Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics suitable for beginners?

While Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a comprehensive textbook, it is not suitable for complete beginners as it assumes some background knowledge in mathematics and physics. However, it is a popular textbook for undergraduate and graduate students studying quantum mechanics.