Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 329K views
2471.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.funnyanimalworld.net/var/albums/2013%20calendar%20Animal%20Magic%20photo%20by%20Richard%20Austin/2013%20calendar%20Animal%20Magic%20photo%20by%20Richard%20Austin%20(06).jpg?m=1352892799
 
Borek said:
In March I put a nest box a little bit over the bird feeder that you have already seen in the past.

nest_box.jpg


Plan was to put a USB camera inside, unfortunately, because of messy combination of hardware/software/cable problems I had to put the plan temporarily on hold. But, as the nest box is about 2 meters from my desk, I hoped for a nice view of birds raising their young.

Unfortunately, so far even that part didn't work as expected.

In the end of April a pair of chickadees started to build a nest inside:

chickadee01.jpg


They looked quite happy, even if there were moments when they were looking at me with a serious resentment "you could make this hole larger, couldn't you?" (well, I could, but I made it small in a hope the box will get occupied by blue tits).

chickadee02.jpg


Unfortunately, they disappeared and as of today I have not seen them for well over two weeks. Nest box is in such a place I can see it when sitting at my desk, just on the border of my field view, so I am sure they abandoned the nest - it is impossible to miss motion there. So I decided to open the box and see what is going on inside.

Turns out they build a nice nest - while it is not well visible on the picture, it is well over 4" of sticks and moss, lined with dog hair.

nest.jpg


They also laid eggs - 8 of them but I lost 3 while trying to pick the nest from the box, so only 5 on the picture:

eggs.jpg


Broken eggs contained only white and yolk, so probably the nest was abandoned soon after they were laid, I presume otherwise there should be some embryos visible. That fits my observations - they disappeared soon after they stopped to bring building materials.

Somehow this year so far almost nothing goes as planned [PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/grumpy_borek.png[/QUOTE]:cry: How sad.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
pet.wallpaper.flying_afghan.jpg


Reminds me of Jack, too sad I won't be able to see him before I leave. :(
 
http://images.sneakhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/iA7Rk-620x413.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
​

Explain! The picture is too cute to handle! :!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
​
Are those baby boonyeahs?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gad said:
:!)Fluffy cow:!)

Oh yeah... Take Fur Flux Proton Rabbit!

​

-----------------------
This is how I imagine protons, and their hairy electron sisters...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
-----------------------
This is how I imagine protons, and their hairy electron sisters...


You imagine protons and electrons with iddy-biddy bunny ears and noses :biggrin:?