Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Sheehan's syndrome. Why there is no deficiency in posterior pituitary hormones?

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,

Why is that in sheehan's syndrome there is no deficiency of posterior pituitary hormones. Ok they are synthesized in hypothalamus, but they are stored in posterior pituitary. So if the gland is damaged how are they secreted? Also there seems to be a trasient polyurea associatd with this condition, this means ADH must be deficient? Also I don't understand why TRH increases in this conditin. Help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    Sheehan's syndrome results in the loss of all hormones including the posterior pituitary (even if DAMAGED it is usually transient or subnormal). This is because the development of posterior pituitary is slightly different, which gives it a separate blood supply and suffers less hypoxic damage during an acute episode .

usually the damage is transient because of the initial insult, but recovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheehan%27s_syndrome" [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Were you ever in hypovolmia, that is, a state of decreased blood volume, primarily plasma?
  5. Sep 26, 2010 #4
    Haven't had such an incident yet.

@Cosmos: Thanks for the answer :smile: I somehow missed it when I read wiki. Do you or anyone know if this syndrome causes bitemporal hemianopia?
  6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    are you researching on this subject or a med student ?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook