1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shielding Effect and Chemical Shift

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a molecule of chloroethene (vinyl chloride) or ClCH=CH2. Rank the hydrogen atoms in the molecule in terms of which will have the greatest chemical shift.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the Cl and the double bond are both electron-rich, this affects the shielding of each proton. So to rank them, I think it could go one of two ways:
    1) The proton on the Cl-CH= is the most blinded (smallest chemical shift) since it is between the two electron-rich groups, followed by the proton in the cis position to the Cl since it is slightly closer to the electronic density than the H in the trans position to the Cl.
    2) The reverse order so: the H on the Cl-CH= is the least blinded (largest chemical shift) because the Cl is electronegative and is withdrawing the electron density from the H. Then the H in the cis position to the Cl would be 2nd rank in terms of blinding and then followed by the H in the trans position to the Cl (being the least blinded) because all of its electron density is being pulled toward the double bond and the Cl.

I think I'm a bit mixed up on how electronegativity works, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Halogens are electron rich relative to a similar carbon group but they get that way in part because they withdraw electron density from the carbon they are attached to. Therefore, the remaining carbon is electron-deficient so the geminal C-H bond is polarized with more electron density being pulled toward the carbon. This effect is called de-shielding.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?