Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shift operator is useful for what?

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    Definition: ##f(x+k) = \exp(k \frac{d}{dx}) f(x)##

So I thought, how take advantage this definition? Maybe it be usefull in integration like is the laplace transform. So I tried to integrate the expression

##\int f(x+k) dx = \int \exp(k \frac{d}{dx}) f(x) dx ## that is an integration by parts, so is necessary to know to integrate and/or differentiate ##exp(k \frac{d}{dx})## and I don't know how do it!

I'm in the correct path?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

There is no integration by parts. [itex]\exp\left(k \frac{d}{dx}\right)[/itex] is an operator. It doesn't make sense until you apply it to a smooth function. Formally [tex]\exp\left(k \frac{d}{dx}\right) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{k^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[/tex] and by convention [itex]d^{0}f/dx^{0} = f[/itex]. Hence [tex]
    \exp\left(k \frac{d}{dx}\right)f = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{k^n}{n!}\frac{d^nf}{dx^n}[/tex] which is the Taylor series for [itex]f[/itex] near [itex]x[/itex], and is equal to [itex]f(x + k)[/itex] if [itex]f[/itex] is analytic at [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] is within the radius of convergence of the series.

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    What you give me was an analytical definition. I still don't understand which is the use of shift operator...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook