Shortcut to proving inequality with sum of cubes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Benny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Benny
Messages
577
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone, could someone please help me out with the following question?

Q. Prove that the following inequality holds for all natural numbers n and rewrite the inequality using summation notation.

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + ... + \left( {n - 1} \right)^3 < \frac{1}{4}n^4 < 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + n^3[/tex]

For the summation notation part I got: [tex]\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\left( {k - 1} \right)^3 } < \frac{1}{4}n^4 < \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {k^3 }[/tex]

I managed to prove that the inequality is true. However, there seems to be some sort of symmetry in the inequality. Is there a 'shortcut' to this question or does it need to be done the way that I did? That is, showing separately that the left and right parts of the inequality are true and then combining the results. I'd like to know partly because I want to enhance my understanding of questions of this type. Any ehlp appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to approach it analytically:
Notice that the left-hand side is a lower sum and the right-hand side is an upper sum of the integral
[tex]\int_0^{n}x^3 dx[/tex]

This directly yields:

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + ... + \left( {n - 1} \right)^3 \leq \frac{1}{4}n^4 \leq 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + n^3[/tex]

It is not difficult to show that equality is not possible.