Should American buy in American Dream?

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
In summary, the story the author is trying to tell is that without hard work, an empire will not be built. However, the empire is doomed to fail because it is based on a false sense of entitlement.
Hmmm. I feel that since people from all walks of life are successfull, the issue is much more complicated than simply who's from a better off environment. Nor do I see anyone aspect that is the "most" important thing. Aspiration, hard work, smart choices, all of these are important, along with more.

Physics news on Phys.org
The American Dream is possible but unfortunately not for everyone (not sure if that goes against the whole idea of the American Dream). Also those who do succeed in reaching this feat will not necessarily be the smartest, the most perseverant, or the most hardworking. Hate to sound pessimistic -especially since I'm always looking for motivational movies, videos, speakers, and quotes- but sometimes no matter what you're capable of or how hard you work, the harsh reality is that you may never reach your goal. We all have hopes and dreams but not everyone can succeed in reaching them, especially in a society of 8 billion where we need people to be at the bottom, middle, and the top in order for it to function.

Life is prone to drastic, unforeseen occurrences. Nobody really plans on their wife cheating on them or their parents dying but sadly, it may be imminent. Similarly we may not plan on living a life we loathe, but it may certainly be our fate; and for 90% of the world it will be. But to just write it off as impossible and not even try would be stupid.

Luckily the end goal is usually just the final steps in a long process, so even if you don't reach it doesn't mean your a piece of crap with no job.

BBQgoat said:
The American Dream is possible but unfortunately not for everyone (not sure if that goes against the whole idea of the American Dream). Also those who do succeed in reaching this feat will not necessarily be the smartest, the most perseverant, or the most hardworking. Hate to sound pessimistic -especially since I'm always looking for motivational movies, videos, speakers, and quotes- but sometimes no matter what you're capable of or how hard you work, the harsh reality is that you may never reach your goal. We all have hopes and dreams but not everyone can succeed in reaching them, especially in a society of 8 billion where we need people to be at the bottom, middle, and the top in order for it to function.
Um - 8 billion is more than the population of the world. Certainly the American Dream is not available to most of the people in the world, but I would say that it is available to almost all Americans except for a very small fraction who have been very unlucky.

Based on education vs income statistics, I'd say that the primary barrier to achieving the American Dream is failure to finish high school: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Last edited: