Should I apply to physics grad school in Japan or Germany?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Brendan Murphy
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this, but hopefully I'll pick it up quickly...

I had a very general question about going to graduate school for physics. I'm a junior undergraduate going for my B.S. in general physics, so naturally I'm thinking about grad schools at this point. I've got a 3.98 cumulative GPA right now (4.02 major GPA), and I'm hoping for an REU over this summer to get some research under my belt.

I'm wondering how important/plausible it is for someone like me to consider international grad schools. I'm currently looking at a few universities in Japan, as well as some in Germany: but I just don't know if I should even consider them. I know there's plenty of great schools in the U.S., but it would be neat to see more of the world. Plus, a few of the universities I'm looking at have projects that really interest me! I'm just wondering if I could get some help measuring pros and cons, like what things to consider and all that.

I appreciate any and all input here.

Thanks everyone!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Brendan Murphy said:
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this, but hopefully I'll pick it up quickly...

I had a very general question about going to graduate school for physics. I'm a junior undergraduate going for my B.S. in general physics, so naturally I'm thinking about grad schools at this point. I've got a 3.98 cumulative GPA right now (4.02 major GPA), and I'm hoping for an REU over this summer to get some research under my belt.

I'm wondering how important/plausible it is for someone like me to consider international grad schools. I'm currently looking at a few universities in Japan, as well as some in Germany: but I just don't know if I should even consider them. I know there's plenty of great schools in the U.S., but it would be neat to see more of the world. Plus, a few of the universities I'm looking at have projects that really interest me! I'm just wondering if I could get some help measuring pros and cons, like what things to consider and all that.

I appreciate any and all input here.

Thanks everyone!

There isn't much to input on here, it's a personal choice. One main difference between many foreign universities and the US is that you'd probably be applying to a masters program, in lieu of a doctorate program like the US. There are also financial concerns, if you aren't independently wealthy.

I lived in Japan for a while, it's a bit of a culture shock. You'll also have problems with the language unless you already speak and read Japanese well. Further, it's also incredibly expensive, and the living accommodations are tiny.