• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Should I become an Astrophysicist or Experimental Physicist?

• Thread starter AsterJoey
  • Start date
I am unsure about what branch of physics I should get into. I am very interested in astronomy, but I also think I would enjoy working with lasers and designing experiments. What field would you say is more interesting? Also, pay is very important for me. If I can't afford to go to school and become one of these things then I won't do it. Any tips for that? Thanks.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It's best to save this decision until you reach the end of your undergraduate degree and need to think about what graduate schools you want to apply to. If you haven't started your undergraduate studies, you don't have enough of a background to really appreciate your own strengths and passions, which should factor prominently into this kind of thing.

Physics is generally not a field to go into for the money. The opportunity cost can be quite large.

I am unsure about what branch of physics I should get into. I am very interested in astronomy, but I also think I would enjoy working with lasers and designing experiments. What field would you say is more interesting? Also, pay is very important for me. If I can't afford to go to school and become one of these things then I won't do it. Any tips for that? Thanks.
Astronomy is not the exact same as Astrophysics, also you can work in experimental Astrophysics. Astrophysics =/= super string theoretical cosmology