1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to become a Astrophysicist

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    Hello Guys,
    Im a Indian pursuing BE Mechanical course.I have a 9.1 average physics grade from my 2 semesters and currently in my 3rd sem.My maths grades are also in the range of 9.
    I want to undergo a Masters degree in astrophysics in US.Can u recommend me a good college and the possibilities of me becoming a Astrophysicist.
    I also have a diploma in astrophysics and undergoing a 100 hr certificate program in astrophysics.
    Do American universities accept a bachelor in engineering for Masters in Astrophysics?
    Can i do anything further to boost my chances to join a good american college?
    Can my GRE grades boost my chances?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2
    Most astrophysicists have PhDs. Yes, an undergrad in Mech E. can get into grad shool for astrophysics. There are several things you can do to help your chances:

Take some physics courses: E&M, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics.
    Score well on the Physics GRE.
    Get involved in research, do well, secure good letters of recommendation from research supervisors, and publish papers in physics journals.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    How can i take physics courses?,Do you mean like a diploma?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  5. Oct 4, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Does your university allow you to take elective courses outside of your prescribed degree program? In the US, this is allowed and very common. In fact, almost all students here do this to some extent. However, I've read that this is not true in some other countries.

Which courses does this include?

As a bare minimum, to get into any physics Ph.D. program here, you should have taken the following courses above the introductory (first-year) level: classical mechanics (including Lagrangian and Hamiltonian methods), quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics + statistical mechanics.

6. Oct 4, 2015 #5
    Yes,there are no such programs in my country.
    I have not taken a specific course yet,just the basics of astrophysics and astronomy.
    Is self learning enough or should i have any certificates to provide for my masters?
    Are there any exams to prove my eligibility?
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook