1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions How can I become an astrophysicist?

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I'm currently in the midst of completing my IGCSEs. I'm 19, and get homeschooled. I dropped out of regular schooling 4 years ago because I was not sure what I wanted to do ahead. I'm now very certain as to what I want to achieve. The issue is I'm currently studying only 3 subjects; physics, chemistry and mathematics extended. After my exams I wish to take up AS- AL physics and math for the next two years with O level chemistry. I'm currently studying through Wolsey hall, Oxford. My concern is how hard would it be for a 21 year old homeschooled person to get into a good college to study higher level physics and mathematics? Taking into account I'm only doing 3 subjects as of now. Also could you tell me if there's anything additional I could do to improve my chances of getting into a college?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Does the UK have anything equivalent to US community colleges?

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3
    I'm not from UK so I'm not sure. Why do you ask? Also what's the difference between community college and universities in terms of courses? Thank you (:

5. Mar 13, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah.

The courses are nearly the same, but in the US community colleges give students who've had non-traditional or less than ideal educations a chance to transfer to larger universities later on after earning college credits.

If something exists like that where you're from it could be beneficial and a possible route to eventually go to the college of your choice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted