Should i finish Arfken's book in undergrad?

In summary, the conversation discusses the completion of the Arfkans book for undergraduate level students in a math methods course. It is mentioned that most undergraduates do not finish books like these and typically only cover a quarter or third of the book in their math methods course. It is also noted that students have likely already covered a quarter of the book in their prerequisite courses such as calculus, linear algebra, or differential equations. The conversation ends with gratitude for the suggestions given.
Shaikot Jahan Shuvo
Hello , I am Physics undergrad on my 1 st year. I have worked out most of the chapters from Riley Benson Hobsons Mathematical Methods for Physics and Enginnering. Now i want to Do Arfkans book. Now the thing i want to know is that is it absolutely necessary to finish it in undergrad level ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No undergrad finishes books like these. In a math methods course, you might make it through a quarter or third of the book. You most likely have already covered another quarter in your prereq courses like calculus or linear algebra or differential equations.

Likes Shaikot Jahan Shuvo
jedishrfu said:
No undergrad finishes books like these. In a math methods course, you might make it through a quarter or third of the book. You most likely have already covered another quarter in your prereq courses like calculus or linear algebra or differential equations.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. :) :smile::smile:

1. Should I finish Arfken's book in undergrad?

It is ultimately up to personal preference, but it is highly recommended to finish the book in undergrad. It will provide a solid foundation for future studies and research.

2. Will finishing Arfken's book benefit me in the long run?

Yes, finishing Arfken's book will benefit you in the long run. It covers important topics and concepts that are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering.

3. Is it necessary to finish Arfken's book if I am not majoring in physics?

While it may not be necessary, it can still be beneficial to finish Arfken's book even if you are not majoring in physics. It covers fundamental principles that can be applied in other fields as well.

4. How long does it typically take to finish Arfken's book?

The time it takes to finish Arfken's book may vary depending on your level of understanding and dedication. However, on average, it takes about one semester to complete the book.

5. Are there any alternative books I can use instead of Arfken's book?

There are alternative books available, but Arfken's book is widely used and highly recommended by many universities and professors. It is also a comprehensive and well-respected text in the field of mathematical methods in physics.