Should I finish my final undergraduate year or start working?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GCT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life Summer

Glad that summer's over?


  • Total voters
    23
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 3K views
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
0
Well summer is about to end and has already ended for some of you. Personally I'm at that age where I just want to obtain a secure career, want to go back to school to finish up my last undergraduate year

Some of you may be wondering on the significance of the last two choices; I wanted to distinguish those who are attending a university from those who will be returning to grade school/high school. I would imagine that the latter would be more reluctant to go back to school.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can still drag summer out until early october. But they have got pretty boring since i started working full time.
 
Summer sucks. I can't wait till it's over and the temps fall again. It's really irritating when you get into your oven car at the end of the day.
 
I can't wait for school to start again! I have the worst job ever. I move heavy furniture around on hot days and clean out toilets. And they treat me like garbage. One time they had me working from 4pm-midnight and when I go to punch out they tell me to be back at 6am! I live two hours away, that would mean I would have gotten two hours of sleep if I went home, but I just slept under a tree and got bitten by mosquitos. And this happened twice!
 
Andy said:
two words for you "air conditioning".

I would DIE if I didn't have AC. When winter rolls around I almost never use the heater, I just wear my coat and I like the cold. But the heat is just too much. What did people do before AC was invented? What do other animals do about the heat if they can't use AC?
 
Not doing research is bumming me out, but I'm going to teach myself Perl programming coming week so WhoHooo! I'm having fun :wink: and I get to practice playing piano that I'm really bad at but improving so I should enjoy the extra time that I have now :smile:

As for áfter summer, that's when I'm planning on taking a vacation! AND planning to start a new job! :biggrin:
 
Whoops.. voted incorrectly. I meant I'm looking forward to going to the university.
 
It's a tough call for me (so none of the options work). While I work year-round, so it really isn't a summer break or anything like that, I do enjoy warm, sunny days when I can go outside and bask in the sun during breaks. Though, August is a tad too warm for me. So, on the temperature side of things, I don't want summer to end. On the other hand, when it's fall, I'll be settled into my new home and new job, so I'm looking forward to that. Plus, fall and winter are when most of my experiments are done...it's the breeding season for the sheep... (then the rest of the year is processing tissues and analyzing data and writing), so I'm looking forward to getting back into experiment mode. But as soon as the temperature drops below 60 F, I'll be looking forward to spring again.
 
I hate summers. I want school to start again! It can't end soon enough for me.
 
I hate summer, too hot and humid to be outside, it makes any outside activity miserable, I can't wait until the Fall gets here and things start to cool off.
 
My "summer" just started three days ago. I was taking two summer classes. Now I get a month off before fall semester starts. I'm determined to enjoy this month of not worrying about assignments, midterms, studying etc.

It's only been three days though and I'm already bored.

:zzz:
 
Summer was fun, but I'm looking forward to starting school. August 24th is bearing down fast though, so I think I'm definitely going to work as hard as I can at doing absolutely nothing until then. Except for when I have to get all my junk for classes.
 
Summer is not my favorit season, but you can give me a cool crisp fall night anytime!
 
summer ? Round here its always summer. It'll never end :biggrin:
(cept for the ice age or nuclear winter)
 
I would not say I hate summer, just right now I can not wait til next semester, which is going to be extremely awesome!
 
Mental Gridlock said:
I would DIE if I didn't have AC. When winter rolls around I almost never use the heater, I just wear my coat and I like the cold. But the heat is just too much. What did people do before AC was invented? What do other animals do about the heat if they can't use AC?


they lounge around in the pool, use a fan
 
I hate summer, I've got nothing to do :frown:. Also, I hate uni, but at least I'll be in my last year when I go back (not till end of September).
 
I actually don't start school until sep. 22, so i still have a fair amount of free time. I'm loving summer so far, since i don't really have any job responsiblities, and pretty much just play on the beach. I hope this never ends!
 
unggio said:
they lounge around in the pool, use a fan
Or just acclimate to the heat, drink lots of water and save the strenuous activity for early morning or evening when it's cooler.
 
Very tough call for me.

Finished uni, and it's coming to the end of the longest summer holiday I'll ever have. It's almost like my childhood days are over!

On the other hand, no regrets, and I'm looking forward to having an interesting job, and to having some money coming in (to make a change!), and moving to a different town and meeting completely new people has its appeal.

A mixed bag.