1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I go for a physics degree?

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    I never did any high level math like calculus in high school. I was in a higher level math class once though, and I didn't understand any of it, such as calculus (I also didn't have the previous foundation for that math, such as algebra since I slacked off really bad in my math classes the previous years), so I dropped out of the class for the more basic ones. And I didn't really find math exceptionally appealing (I went pretty well in it though), even though I've always had a deep fascination with physics. I'm thinking about doing a physics degree along side my current information technology degree (they would complement eachother well too), if I go with the physics degree, I'll have to go all the way to the PhD if I want to work in theoretical physics. But the thing is, I don't think my current math skills will cut it, I reckon I will struggle if I went for it, or I might just have an innate inability to do high level math.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You should take calculus (and all its prerequisites). If you do well, then you can consider a degree in physics.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3
    If you want to go for a physics degree, here is a taste of the kind of math courses that you would be expected to take:
    1. Single-variable calculus (Calculus I)
    2. Multivariable calculus
    3. Linear Algebra
    4. Ordinary differential equations

If you do well in Calculus I, then you shouldn't worry about the math since Calculus I is the prerequisite for 2., 3., and 4. And to do well in Calculus I, you only need to be comfortable with basic geometry, functions, and basic algebra. Therefore, if you're comfortable with these 3, then I don't see why you cannot go for the physics degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook