1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I go to Leipzig or should I have a language year

1. Jul 16, 2015 #1
    Hello everybody,

Like you, I love physics and would love to obtain at least a B.sc in Physics, but I am in a sort of a dilemma. Should I go to Leipzig, where they have an English taught bachelor or should I spend a year studying German in order to take a DSH exam and then attend a German bachelor in a more well known university with a strong Physics program. My financial situation isn't perfect, but it is manageable. And furthermore, would an IPSP Bachelor in Leipzig hamper or help my graduate degree prospects? If I want to go to Heidelberg to do a masters for example or do a Phd in the USA, whuch would suit me better: a degree from a university like the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology or should I stick with Leipzig?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For a masters in a German university, it is not important where in Germany you got your BSc - if your grades are good you get in.
    For the US, it can matter.

4. Jul 16, 2015 #3

cgk

Science Advisor

I second mfb. There are no "levels" of German universities. A degree taken at any of them will be regarded in exactly the same way.

By the way, I do not see even why you would count out Leipzig of all universities in any case. In the time the German universities were world famous, Leipzig was one of the top 5 (they had Heisenberg, Hertz, Debye, Bloch, Boltzmann, van der Waerden, and many of other people who laid the foundations of what physics and math is today. Look it up!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook