1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I Study Functional Analysis or Calculus on Manifolds?

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    I have the opportunity to pursue an independent study in functional analysis (using Kreyszig's book) or calculus on manifolds (using Tu's book) next semester. I think that both of the subjects are interesting and I would like to study them both at some point in my life, but I can only choose one of them next semester. I have studied a bit of QFT and I looking to study the interface of quantum field theory and condensed matter physics in grad school. I originally thought functional analysis would be more useful, but some of the feedback that I have gotten suggests that it may not be as useful as I thought. Which of these subjects would you choose to study/ do you think would be more helpful, and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

You will probably find calculus on manifolds more useful at this stage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook