Should I take Number Theory or Abstract Algebra

In summary, for someone interested in theoretical computer science or theoretical mathematics, it is recommended to take abstract algebra first as it is fundamental and has many practical applications. Number theory, while interesting, is more of an aside. However, for those drawn to esoteric fields, number theory may be a better choice. Both abstract algebra and number theory are important for research in various fields and self-study is a viable option for learning these subjects. Additionally, the conversation ends with a request for advice on finding a topic for research in abstract math or theoretical computer science.
Jarvis323
Which course do you think is more important or interesting to take for someone interested in theoretical computer science or theoretical mathematics, number theory or abstract algebra?

I am mainly interested acquiring skills and knowledge that will enable me to prove something significant in the area of complexity theory, computability theory, or abstract math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Abstract Algebra

Likes 1 person
Number theory is interesting, but abstract algebra is fundamental.

Likes 1 person
Abstract Algebra (for me at least) allowed me to peer inside a mathematical universe that I didn't know existed. Additionally, the language of abstract algebra is used to build other branches of modern mathematics that you might want to study in the future. I would recommend it over number theory (admittedly I have no experience with number theory so my opinion is biased).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Abstract algebra is sometimes even a prerequisite for number theory. So as someone who has become interested taking classes on these topics myself, I agree that you should at least take abstract algebra first.

Likes 1 person
Abstract algebra is fundamental. Number theory is more of an aside. Of course, for someone wanting to do theoretical computer science, why not take both? It will certainly be to your benefit. Maybe even throw in some set theory and graph theory while you're at it.

Likes 1 person
There are, however, elements of number theory that are often used in computing. Much of modern cryptography, for example.

Likes 1 person
I recently read an interesting article on the huge differences between the theory of numerical computing and theory of computation. You'll never see mention of Turing machines in the former, IEEE floating point (or for that matter, anything on the reals) in the latter. I've looked, but I can't find it.Regarding the topic at hand, number theory is a rather esoteric field with limited applications. Abstract algebra is ubiquitous in its applications (including number theory).

However, some people are strongly attracted to the esoteric. If that's what grabs you, tAllan, then maybe you'll do better there. (But it's hard to argue that abstract algebra itself isn't esoteric.)

Likes 1 person
To the OP:

I would definitely recommend taking abstract algebra first (and number theory later if you can fit it in your schedule), given its relevance of much of modern mathematical research, as well as its applicability in various cognate fields such as theoretical physics, statistics, and theoretical computer science (particularly in complexity theory and the theory of computation).

Likes 1 person
I think I will learn both, probably mostly through self study. I may have to choose between number theory and abstract math this next quarter because I have some CS courses I really need to take. Thank you all for your advice.

If any of you have any advice for me in finding a topic, in either abstract math or theoretical computer science, with promising research potential, that would appreciated.

Hi tAllan :) I don't know much about them but I want to learn abstract algebra and number theory too. I had algebra in my college for a semestre. And I study number theory with my own , sometimes.(and I quit :) ). Anyway, if you start to study one of those to write an article, just notice me. That may be efficient for both of us, see you.

1. Should I take Number Theory or Abstract Algebra?

It ultimately depends on your interests and goals. Number theory focuses on the properties of integers and their relationships, while abstract algebra studies the structures and properties of mathematical systems. If you enjoy working with numbers and patterns, number theory might be a good choice. If you prefer abstract and logical thinking, abstract algebra might be a better fit.

2. Which is more difficult: Number Theory or Abstract Algebra?

Both subjects can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on the individual student. Number theory may require a good understanding of algebra and basic number concepts, while abstract algebra may require strong logical and abstract thinking skills. It's important to choose a subject that aligns with your strengths and interests.

3. Do I need to take both Number Theory and Abstract Algebra?

It depends on your academic or career goals. If you are pursuing a degree in mathematics, both subjects are likely to be required. If you are simply interested in learning more about these topics, you may choose to take one or the other based on your interests.

4. How can taking Number Theory or Abstract Algebra benefit me?

Both subjects have practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. They also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be useful in any career. Additionally, studying these subjects can deepen your understanding and appreciation of mathematics.

5. Which subject is more applicable to real-world problems?

Both subjects have practical applications in different areas. Number theory is often used in cryptography and coding theory, while abstract algebra can be applied in areas such as computer science and physics. It's important to consider your interests and career goals when deciding which subject may be more applicable to you.