Should politicians take a vow of poverty?

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
In summary, I think this proposal is a good way to reduce corruption in government. It would cut down on the temptation for corrupt politicians to make money, and it would provide a basic income for life to those who take the vow.

Should politicians take a lifelong vow of poverty?

• Yes, I think it should be given a try.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No, I don't think so.

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters
I have edited.

Physics news on Phys.org
lol my opinion still stands. But i must add that i only know younger people so that's probably a big reason i wouldn't be able to find even 1 fit for the job.

BicycleTree said:
Doesn't that sound a little like the politicians' "respective groups" to you?

I am not saying that defending one's group is corrupt, but it is not altruistic.

I do think politicians should be made slaves of the state. The sacrifice of the freedom of the few is sometimes needed to ensure the freedom of the many.
No. The community is not their "group", it's the people to whom they are responsable. When you better education you better it for everyone not just democrats or just republicans. The same goes for fixing roads and the economy and so on and so forth. These are not things that only help certain groups, they help the entire community.

At any rate, as already pointed out by many, you are considerably hindering these people. How are they supposed to have a wife? How are they supposed to have a family? How about friends and just a regular social life. How about hobbies? Just about every employer realizes that their employees need to be happy and need a life outside of work or their productivity will decline. My own employer encourages us to take vacation and gives us plenty of vacation time. A person needs to enjoy their life or they will not be a productive individual. Even if a person enjoys their job every one still needs something beyond that.
Also you may want to consider that most of the people out there that vote like to see candidates you have a family and are married. The set up you have makes this all but impossible and would probably ruin just about any marriage.