Should we Makemake anything about the name?

• Thread starter Ai52487963
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about the naming of planets and other celestial bodies after various mythological figures. The traditional practice of using Greek gods has been expanded to include names from other mythologies, possibly in an effort to be more inclusive. However, with the discovery of more and more objects in the Kuiper belt, it may be difficult to continue this practice. Additionally, the tradition of naming objects after Greek gods has already been broken, with some moons of Uranus being named after Shakespearean characters. The conversation also touches on the changing education system and the ease of remembering the order of the planets after the demotion of Pluto.
Ai52487963
Should we "Makemake" anything about the name?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

What's the deal with some of these new planets being named after other mythological gods? Traditionally, the planets were named after the Greek gods, but Sedna and now Makemake are two different mythologies entirely.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I think they're cool names, but is there any reason why new planets are being named from different mythologies? Surely they can't run out of Greek gods?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

There are apparently more "bodies" or "plutons" or "plutoids" in the Kuiper belt than the ancient Greeks needed to name Gods to explain their universe.

Maybe it's a good gesture to be inclusive of less well-known mythologies to bring them a little sunshine?

Until the full extent of the Kuiper object field is more accurately determined, it may be that including all the world's religions and mythologies might not ultimately be a large enough pool of names. (Presumably not of course.) But if so, pity the school kids asked to memorize that mess.

LowlyPion said:
pity the school kids asked to memorize that mess.
Pleez. We've stopped asking them to do math manually, why would we expect them to remember things manually? :uhh:

Well, for one thing, these newly discovered bodies are not "planets". For the other, the tradition of naming objects in the Solar system after Greek deities was broken long ago. All the Moons of Uranus are named after characters in Shakespearean plays. The first was named in 1787.

DaveC426913 said:
Pleez. We've stopped asking them to do math manually, why would we expect them to remember things manually? :uhh:

Oh, darn. You caught me being facetious.

Actually things have gotten easier now that they don't have to remember Pluto

Forget:
My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas

Make it:
My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles

LowlyPion said:
Oh, darn. You caught me being facetious.
I know. I was facetizing with you, not at you. :approve:

1. What is the significance of the name Makemake?

The name Makemake is derived from the Rapanui mythology of Easter Island. Makemake is the creator of humanity and the god of fertility and the chief god of the Tangata Manu or bird-man cult. The name was chosen for the dwarf planet Makemake by the International Astronomical Union in 2008.

2. Why is there a debate about changing the name Makemake?

There is a debate about changing the name Makemake because it is a name given by European astronomers and some believe it does not accurately represent the culture and history of the indigenous people of Easter Island. Some argue that the name should be changed to a name given by the Rapanui people themselves.

3. Should we change the name Makemake to a more culturally appropriate name?

This is a complex question that does not have a definitive answer. Some argue that changing the name would be a step towards acknowledging and respecting the indigenous culture and correcting past wrongs. Others argue that changing the name would not make a significant impact and could potentially cause confusion and disrupt scientific communication.

4. How would changing the name Makemake impact scientific research?

Changing the name Makemake would not significantly impact scientific research, as the name is only used to label the dwarf planet. The scientific data and research on the planet would remain unchanged. However, there could be some initial confusion and adjustments needed in scientific literature and databases.

5. What is the process for changing the name Makemake?

Changing the name Makemake would require a proposal to the International Astronomical Union (IAU). The IAU has a set of guidelines and criteria for naming celestial objects, which includes input from the relevant indigenous communities. The proposal would need to demonstrate strong cultural significance and support from the Rapanui people in order to be considered for a name change.