Should you call in this situation? (Hold'em card game)

• Thread starter thetaobums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, you are in late position at a 1/2 NL Hold'em cash game with $400 and pocket jacks. A loose passive player bets $12, two players fold, and a tight player goes all in for $75. After two more players fold, you call the tight player's bet. The original better then goes all in for $175, leading to the question of whether you should call or fold. According to the math, you should call as long as the pot is less than two to one and you have a big chip lead, regardless of how much you have already put in. The only factors to consider are the current pot size, the players' chip stacks, and your beliefs about their cards.
thetaobums
You are in late position with $400 at a 1/2 NL Hold'em cash game with pocket jacks. The player under the gun (a loose passive player) bets out $12. Two players fold, then a very tight (all in or nothing) player in middle position goes all in for $75. Two more players fold. You call his $75. The remaining players fold to the original better who goes all in for $175 total. Mathematically, should you call him as well or should you fold?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

if you have a gambling problem, you should fold

Likes 1 person
probably call

You need to risk $100 more to call. You already have put in $75. 100/75 is 1.33, less than two to one. As long as it's less than two to one and you have a big chip lead, you should call.

There's no reason how much you've put in should matter. All that matters is how much money is currently in the pot, how much each of you has on the table, and your beliefs about the other players' cards.

I would approach this situation by analyzing the probabilities and expected value of each decision. In this scenario, we are facing a bet of $175 with a pot size of $562 (original bet of $12, plus $75 from the middle position player, plus your call of $75). This means that we need to win at least 31% of the time in order for calling to be a profitable decision.

To determine our chances of winning, we need to consider the range of hands that the original bettor could have. As a loose passive player, it is likely that they could have a wide range of hands, including weaker pairs, suited connectors, and even weaker aces. However, with two players already in the pot and a strong all-in raise from the middle position player, it is also possible that they could have a strong hand like pocket aces or kings.

In contrast, the tight player in middle position is likely to have a very strong hand, as they have gone all in for only $75. This means that we are most likely facing a strong hand from one of the players, and our pocket jacks are not likely to be the best hand.

Based on this analysis, I would recommend folding in this situation. While we may have the best hand against the original bettor's range, the strong all-in raise from the middle position player indicates that our chances of winning are not high enough to justify calling with only a 31% chance of winning. Folding in this situation would likely be the most scientifically sound decision.

1. Should I call in this situation?

The decision to call in a Hold'em card game depends on various factors such as your hand strength, position at the table, and the actions of other players. It is important to consider all these factors before making a decision.

2. How do I determine whether to call or fold?

To make this decision, you need to evaluate the strength of your hand and compare it to the community cards on the table. You should also consider the betting patterns of other players and their possible hand ranges.

3. What if I have a mediocre hand, should I still call?

It depends on the situation and the actions of other players. If there are multiple players in the pot and the pot odds are favorable, you may consider calling with a mediocre hand. However, if the pot odds are not favorable or there is a lot of aggressive betting, it may be wiser to fold.

4. Can I call if I have a small or big blind?

As a general rule, if you are in the small blind, you should call if the pot has been raised and you have a decent hand. However, if you are in the big blind and there have been multiple raises, it may be better to fold unless you have a strong hand.

5. Is it always better to call than to raise?

Not necessarily. It depends on the situation and the strength of your hand. In some cases, it may be better to raise to gain control of the pot and potentially bluff other players. However, if you have a weak hand, it may be wiser to call and see the next community card before making a decision.