Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shouldn't the operator be applied to both the wf anD its modulus?

1. Mar 29, 2013 #1

jshrager

Gold Member

Why is it:

$$ \langle A \rangle = \int dV ~ \psi^* (\hat{A} \psi) $$

As opposed to:

$$ \langle A \rangle = \int dV ~ (\hat{A} \psi^*) (\hat{A} \psi) $$

The op can substantially change the wf, so it would seem to make more mathematical sense (at least from a linear algebra pov) to operate on both the wf and its mod, otherwise, as we do it now (first expr) you're getting a very odd product. Is this is a property of the way that wfs are formulated? Are they a special case where this isn't required? Or maybe it's a magical property of hermetian operators? Or maybe it just works and I shouldn't think too hard about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

1) it works
    2) the second formula is not linear
    3) There is probably some deeper reason why this works

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3

kith

Science Advisor

If you start with the standard definition of the expectation value of a random variable <A> = Ʃi piai -where the ais are the possible outcomes and pi is the probability to obtain the i-th- your first formula follows from the QM postulates about these quantities. I don't know if this is satifying to you. ;-)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook