1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunctions of translation operator and transposed operator property proof

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the translation operator [tex]\widehat{T_{a}}[/tex]
    Translation operator is defined as [tex]\widehat{T_{a}}\psi(x)=\psi(x+a)[/tex] (you all know that, probably you just call it differently)

2. Relevant equations
    The eigenvalue/eigenfunction equation is given like
    [tex]\widehat{T_{a}}\psi_{n}(x)=f_{n}\psi_{n}(x)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I write the eigenvalues [tex]f_{n}[/tex] are in the form of [tex]c_{n}(a)[/tex] (c noting that it is a complex coefficient)
    And I don't know how to proove it correctly and clearly, but I get that only possible eigenfunctions are exponentials [tex]\psi_{n}(x)=e\ ^{x+2n\pi\i}[/tex] and the eigenvalues for [tex]\widehat{T_{a}}[/tex] are [tex]c_{n}(a)=e\ ^{a+2n\pi\i}[/tex]

I don't have any ideas how to proove it more clearly, because this "solution" involves more thinking and assuming than solving.

I also did similar solution for inversion operator [tex]\widehat{I_{x}}\psi(x)=\psi(-x)[/tex] by finding eigenvalues just looking at the properties of an equation which was like [tex]\psi(-x)=f\psi(x)[/tex] and using the property of odd and even functions and thus finding 2 eigenvalues of [tex]f_{1}=1[/tex] and [tex]f_{2}=-1[/tex] and thus getting infinite number of eigenfuntions. The real solution to this problem was using the property that [tex]\widehat{I_{x}}^2=\widehat{1}[/tex] and modify the equation [tex]\widehat{I_{x}}\psi(x)=f\psi(x)[/tex] by multiplying both sides from the left with [tex]\widehat{I_{x}}[/tex] and thus getting [tex]\psi(x)=f^{2}\psi(x)[/tex] and just needed to solve the quadratic equation of [tex]f^{2}=1[/tex] thus getting the same values of [tex]f_{1}=1[/tex] and [tex]f_{2}=-1[/tex] This was just an example of possible ways to solve eigenvalue equations, but in this case - the real solution shows that no other solutions are possible.

And also I have this second problem which is more like proof of a formula which is usually given as a property.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Proove that [tex](AB)^{T}=B^{T}A^{T}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The transposed operator is given in bra-ket notation as [tex]\left\langle\varphi\left|\widehat{A}^{T}\right|\psi\right\rangle=\left\langle\psi^{*}\left|\widehat{A}\right|\varphi^{*}\right\rangle[/tex] or in integral form as [tex]\int\varphi(x)\widehat{A}^{T}\psi(x)dx=\int\psi(x)\widehat{A}\varphi(x)dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I have completely no ideas on where to start with this one.
    Because I started with it like [tex]\left\langle\varphi\left|\widehat{AB}\right|\psi\right\rangle=\left\langle\varphi\left|\widehat{A}\right|\widehat{B}\psi\right\rangle=\left\langle\psi^{*}\left|\widehat{A}\right|\widehat{B}^{T}\varphi^{*}\right\rangle[/tex] but I really doubt that the last operation is correct and I'm allowed to do so.

I hope I made my doubts and problems clear and thanks for help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Muchacho! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a psi: ψ :wink:)

Where did you get n from? :confused:

Remember, this works for any a.

Hint: take logs of the equation. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook