1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shouldn't these equations produce the same result?

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a pilot accelerates at more than 4g, he begins to “gray out” but doesn’t completely lose consciousness. (a) Assuming constant acceleration, what is the shortest time that a jet pilot starting from rest can take to reach Mach 4 (four times the speed of sound) without graying out? (b) How far would the plane travel during this period of acceleration? (Use 331 m s for the speed of sound in cold air.)

2. Relevant equations
    2aΔx=V2-V02
    Δx=V0t+(1/2)at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was reviewing my work for the chapter and came across a problem with part b. I used 2aΔx=V2-V02 instead of Δx=V0t+(1/2)at2 like I did the first time. The time it takes is 33.7 seconds, and initial velocity is zero with final velocity being 1324 m/s. The acceleration is 39.24 m/s2. Using the second equation, I get the right answer of 22392 m. But using the first equation, I get 2087 m. Why is this? If there is a final velocity and an initial velocity, and acceleration is the same with both, wouldn't it have to take the same time?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You certainly miscalculated something. Both method gives the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted