Show that for every n, n<=x<n+1

• Thread starter joedirt658
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem asks to show that for any real number x, there exists an integer n such that n<=x<n+1. The proof involves using the well-ordered principle of induction. By considering the sets S and K, which contain all integers greater than x and all integers not in S respectively, it can be shown that S must contain a smallest member, n, which satisfies the given condition. Therefore, n<=x<n+1, and the proof is complete.
joedirt658

Homework Statement

Assume that for every positive real number x there is an integer n>x.
Show that for ever real number x there is an integer n such that n<=x<n+1.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i am supposed to use the well ordered principle of induction to solve this problem so here is my solution.

Suppose there are two sets S and K and when combined they form the set of all integers.
Let K contain everything not in S
if K contains every integer greater than x and S contains the numbers {-∞,..., n-2, n-1, n} then the smallest integer in K is n+1 and therefore
x<n+1

if S contains everything that is not in K, then the integers in S can either be less than or equal to x because both situations satisfy the condition that the integer is not greater than x.

therefore n<=x.
by the transitivity property we can say that
n<n+1 and n<=x<n+1.

i am not sure if i did this correctly and since i am self teaching myself some things in math that i feel i do not have a good basis in, it would be cool if you guys could check my answer.

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to do induction on natural numbers or real numbers? As far as I know, induction isn't used much to prove something for all real numbers, just for all natural numbers.

Let S be the set of all positive integers greater than x. By the hypothesis, that set is non-empty. Can you show that S contains a smallest member? If so, how does that give you your proof?

1. What does the statement "n<=x

The statement "n<=x

2. How is this statement relevant in scientific research?

This statement is relevant in scientific research because it is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a certain inequality holds true for all values of n.

3. Can you provide an example of how this statement is used in a scientific context?

Sure, for example, in a study on the growth rate of bacteria over time, the statement "n<=x

4. Why is the "n+1" necessary in this statement?

The "n+1" is necessary because it ensures that there is no overlap between the intervals. If the statement was just "n<=x", there could be values of x that are equal to n and values that are greater than n+1, making it impossible to determine where x falls on the number line.

5. Can this statement be applied to any type of variable or is it limited to numbers?

This statement is limited to numbers, as it is based on the concept of intervals on a number line. However, it can be applied to any type of number, including integers, fractions, and even irrational numbers.