Show that set {(x,y) in Z | 5x+7y divisible by 3} is symmetric

  • Thread starter Thread starter gummz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set Symmetry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
gummz
Messages
32
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Let S = { (x,y) in Z | 5x+7y is divisible by 3 }

Show that S is symmetrical.

Homework Equations



None apart from basic algebraic knowledge.

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
The only thing I can think of is starting with 3a = 5x+7y and putting x (or y) into the corresponding number 5y+7x and show that that turns out to be a multiple of 3, to show that it is symmetrical. But that leads me nowhere as far as I can tell:

5y+7x = 5y + 7 * (3a-7y) / 5
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I got it:

5y+7x = 5x+7y + (2x-2y) and you isolate 2x-2y from the given 3a equation. Now this is a multiple of 3.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HallsofIvy