Showing that inverse of an isomorphism is an isomorphism

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Isomorphism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44
Let ##G## and ##H## be groups, and let ##\phi : G \to H## be an isomorphism. I want to show that ##\phi^{-1} : H \to G## is also an isomorphism. First, note that ##\phi^{-1}## is clearly a bijection as ##\phi## is its inverse. Second, let ##a,b \in H##. Since ##\phi## is surjective, there exist ##x,y \in G## s.t ##a = \phi(x)## and ##b = \phi(y)##. Then ##\phi^{-1}(ab) = \phi^{-1}(\phi(x) \phi(y)) = \phi^{-1}(\phi(xy)) = xy = \phi^{-1} (\phi (x)) \phi^{-1} (\phi(y)) = \phi^{-1}(a) \phi^{-1}(b)##.

Here is my question, why did I only have to use the fact that ##\phi## is surjective and a homomorphism in showing that ##\phi^{-1}## is a homomorphism? Why didn't I have to use that it is injective?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Let ##G## and ##H## be groups, and let ##\phi : G \to H## be an isomorphism. I want to show that ##\phi^{-1} : H \to G## is also an isomorphism. First, note that ##\phi^{-1}## is clearly a bijection as ##\phi## is its inverse. Second, let ##a,b \in H##. Since ##\phi## is surjective, there exist ##x,y \in G## s.t ##a = \phi(x)## and ##b = \phi(y)##. Then ##\phi^{-1}(ab) = \phi^{-1}(\phi(x) \phi(y)) = \phi^{-1}(\phi(xy)) \stackrel{(*)}{=} xy \stackrel{(*)}{=} \phi^{-1} (\phi (x)) \phi^{-1} (\phi(y)) = \phi^{-1}(a) \phi^{-1}(b)##.

Here is my question, why did I only have to use the fact that ##\phi## is surjective and a homomorphism in showing that ##\phi^{-1}## is a homomorphism? Why didn't I have to use that it is injective?
You did use it. Let's assume ##\phi ## is only surjective and we have ##\phi(u)=\phi(v)##. Then how could we justify ##u=\phi^{-1}(\phi(u))=\phi^{-1}(\phi(v))=v## which you used at the equations I marked with ##(*)\,?## So we actually used ##\phi(u)=\phi(v) \Longrightarrow u=v## which is precisely injectivity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr Davis 97
One can define injectivity and surjectivity only by means of morphisms. Let's take the example above: ##\phi\, : \,G \longrightarrow H##.

Then ##\phi ## is injective, if and only if for any functions ##\varphi , \psi \, : \, K \longrightarrow G## from a set ##K## with ##\phi \varphi = \phi \psi## follows ##\varphi = \psi \,.##

And ##\phi ## is surjective, if and only if for any functions ##\varphi , \psi \, : \, H \longrightarrow L## to a set ##L## with ##\varphi \phi = \psi \phi## follows ##\varphi = \psi \,.##

If you like you can show the equivalence of these definitions to the usual ones as an exercise. So injectivity is left cancellation and surjectivity right cancellation. For an isomorphisms we need, resp. have both. That's why I said in an earlier thread, that both directions are needed: ##\phi \phi^{-1} = \operatorname{id}_H## and ##\phi^{-1} \phi = \operatorname{id}_G##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr Davis 97
You can't talk about inverse functions if the function is not injective...