Showing that the P(r) is maximum at r=a_0/Z

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mason Smith
Messages
21
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


upload_2019-1-27_11-10-43.png


Homework Equations


upload_2019-1-27_11-11-41.png

where
upload_2019-1-27_11-11-59.png


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to integrate (7-32) over all values of r (i.e., from negative infinity to positive infinity) and set it equal to 1, but the result was too messy and was divergent. Am I making the right approach?
 
Attachments
  • upload_2019-1-27_11-10-43.png
    upload_2019-1-27_11-10-43.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 640
  • upload_2019-1-27_11-11-41.png
    upload_2019-1-27_11-11-41.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 607
  • upload_2019-1-27_11-11-59.png
    upload_2019-1-27_11-11-59.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 620
Physics news on Phys.org
Mason Smith said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 237887

Homework Equations


View attachment 237888
where
View attachment 237889

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to integrate (7-32) over all values of r (i.e., from negative infinity to positive infinity) and set it equal to 1, but the result was too messy and was divergent. Am I making the right approach?
Why do you want to integrate? How do you normally find the maximum of a function?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mason Smith
Further to PeroK's comment, you are asked to maximise P(r), not ∫P(r).dr.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mason Smith
To PeroK and haruspex...thank you for the help! It makes perfect sense now. :smile: