1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the Terminal Velocity equation is dimensionally correct.

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, this is my er...first post.
    It's a first year university physics assignment that I'm having a bit of trouble with, any help will be rewarded with kind words!(bit of an empty gift, but it's all I have)

Ok, here's the problem.

The terminal velocity of a mass m, moving at ‘high speeds’ through a fluid of density ρ (kg m^3), is given by
    V(terminal)=√((2mg)/(DρA))

where A is the cross-sectional area of the object (m2) and D is a dimensionless “drag coefficient”.
    Show that equation is dimensionally correct.

Now, not really being certain what the question is asking for regards 'dimensions' hasn't helped but! I did make an attempt by substituting each variable with it's corresponding units.
    e.g.

2mg= 2((m/s^2)x(kg))=((m x kg)/ s^2)and ρA=((Kg/m^3)x(m^2))=Kg x m^(-1)

which yields V(ter)=√((mKg)/ s^2)/mKg
    =√(s^2) x D
    =s x D

This seems more or less nonsensical.
    I'm sure it's probably mathematical error or just a failure to grasp the concept of proving an equations dimensions.

Am I wrong?
    what is going on?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Problems from introductory courses don't belong in the advanced physics homework forum. I moved your thread.

Fine up to here. Your dimensions for ρA are therefore kg/m, right?

You used kg m instead of kg/m for the dimensions of ρA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook