Showing transformations from y=x² to f(x)=-(3+x)²+1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Faith S
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Member has been warned not to remove the template.
One of my homework questions said "Explain how to obtain f(x)=-(3+x)^2+1 from the graph of y=x^2."
I know somehow you need to move the graph right 3, reflect about the x-axis, and move up one, but I don't know how to factor and manipulate the equation to show this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Faith S said:
One of my homework questions said "Explain how to obtain f(x)=-(3+x)^2+1 from the graph of y=x^2."
I know somehow you need to move the graph right 3, reflect about the x-axis, and move up one, but I don't know how to factor and manipulate the equation to show this.

Your description is perfectly OK as is. However, be careful about moving the graph---right or left?