Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Siberian Mammoth died out 40,000 years ago

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    apparantly, and was replaced by the American mammoth, That's the result of mitochondrial DNA research:

There is something with that excellent picture of the Yarkov mammoth mummy, heavy copyright fights.

I hope this is the right place to post it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Very interesting!
  4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    Indeed it is, Turbo

Sorry I made two errors with the Yarkov mammoth, first of all it is spelled Jarkov Mammoth, secondly, In reality it's the Yukagir mammoth that was on the Expo in Japan

Take note here:

What time exactly. The only time discussed is 40,000 years ago. Where is DrPaleo?
  5. Sep 5, 2008 #4

Gold Member

It's not feasible to use over-hunting to explain the collapse of a sub-species if their ranges overlapped and/or if they were subjected to similar hunting pressures in different regions. If they had different herd behaviors or perhaps were concentrated in different regions (where the ranges overlapped) it is possible to consider that a change in hunting strategy might have wiped out a population. If you could panic adults or somehow cut young mammoths out of herds (easier prey) it might have been possible to cause the collapse of entire herds. Little ones could be killed more easily, but they would also have to have been culled more frequently than adults to supply the same amount of meat. The long (I assume, comparing to elephants) time required for maturation would have given the mammoths limited time to replenish their population with breeding adults, if the young ones were being killed efficiently. Probably a bogus idea, but it's worth a thought. After all, African plains predators preferentially attack the young, the weak, and the sick - the prolific breeding and fast maturation of antelopes, gazelles, etc, allows them to stay in balance with their predators. If humans came up with some tactics that gave them an edge in this prey-predator relationship, mammoths with slow reproductive/replacement rates might not have been able to cope.
  6. Sep 5, 2008 #5
    Mammoths and men have coexisted in many parts of the world for thousands of years and the overkill hypothesis is only associated with N-America, nowhere else. STill the stone tools and fluted points were found on more places like the Solutrean culture in France, around 20,000 years ago, while the Mammoths lasted there until about 15,000 (calendar) years ago . Therefore, the essential part in the hypothesis is the new arrival of the Clovis encountering naive mega fauna that had not learned to fear men.

This shows a completely different picture.
  7. Sep 5, 2008 #6
    This really does make me think of disease rather then over hunting. Mainly because the area of land is so great. But turbo has given me much food for thought. Now all we need to know is the population of both man and mammoth in that area, 40,000 years ago.
  8. Sep 5, 2008 #7
    Why would it need to have a disaster? Most 'extinctions' are due to better competitors taking over the niche. Perhaps that allochtone females from America had enough edge for some reason to outperform their Siberian competitors. For the casual observer nothing needed to have happen, the amount of mammoths staying more or less the same but the better families taking over.
  9. Sep 7, 2008 #8
    meanwhile got the original article,

Debruyne et al., Out of America: Ancient DNA Evidence for a New World Origin of Late Quaternary Woolly Mammoths, Current Biology (2008), doi:10.1016/j.cub.2008.07.061

edit: added:

Richard Firestone, the father of the big comet hypothesis assumes that it was the supernova that did it.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  10. Sep 17, 2008 #9

Gold Member

Andre... I don't know if you've seen this but it is bringing new significance to the North American Mammoth!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?