• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Sig figs and qualitative v quantitative

• Thread starter t5nitro
  • Start date
Hi, if an equation has parentheses attached, do you solve what is inside and then look at this sig figs to tell you the amount in the answer or not? For example, if I had (0.3991 - .02) / 100. would the answer have 1 significant figure (the .02).

I also had a question with quantitative vs qualitative measurements. Would anything with a number attached be considered quantitative? Would quantitative be saying that for example, carbon makes up X% of the body would as well as maybe carbon's atomic mass is also quantitative? And a qualitative would be smell, color etc.?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Hi, if an equation has parentheses attached, do you solve what is inside and then look at this sig figs to tell you the amount in the answer or not? For example, if I had (0.3991 - .02) / 100. would the answer have 1 significant figure (the .02).
Parentheses are not important here, what is more important is the fact that sigfig rules for addition and subtraction are a little bit different.

I also had a question with quantitative vs qualitative measurements. Would anything with a number attached be considered quantitative? Would quantitative be saying that for example, carbon makes up X% of the body would as well as maybe carbon's atomic mass is also quantitative? And a qualitative would be smell, color etc.?
Qualitative measurement?