Signing-in to PF changes the "log-in" to "USER"

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary: No need to worry. You are not dyslexic.I did the same after reading a post regarding protection from radiation following a nuclear incident.I need to stop doing that.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
This I now notice only today, or this evening. The physics forums pages show "Log In" button in the top row of links, and then upon signing in, the link changes to say "USER". It had until now, changed to say "PF"; this is not any sort of complaint. This is just something I notice.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I had some feedback that "MY PF" was not understood.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But is "first to complain privately to Greg" really the basis we want to use to make interface decisions?

Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But is "first to complain privately to Greg" really the basis we want to use to make interface decisions?
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. :wink: I could also change it to "Account" but went with something shorter. Still can change. fyi, it has nothing to do with MHB.

Greg Bernhardt said:
fyi, it has nothing to do with MHB.
Who said it did? You are the first person to bring it up.

BTW, I am going to PM you with a bunch of suggested interface changes. Just wait until you see my color scheme!

Vanadium 50 said:
BTW, I am going to PM you with a bunch of suggested interface changes. Just wait until you see my color scheme!
I seriously welcome all suggestions

Vanadium 50 said:
Who said it did?
Could swear @symbolipoint did actually, but apparently not. Maybe there was an edit. Or maybe I was hallucinating earlier.

Likes SammyS
Ibix said:
Could swear @symbolipoint did actually, but apparently not. Maybe there was an edit. Or maybe I was hallucinating earlier.
Someone self deleted a post, but no need to dwell on it

Likes Ibix
Ibix said:
Or maybe I was hallucinating earlier.
Or now. How does one tell the difference? :wink:

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
Vanadium 50 said:
Or now. How does one tell the difference? :wink:
Local density of pink elephants.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
Fun fact: the OED used to have an incorrect first use of "pink elephants". I wrote them, and they corrected it. I was hoping that they'd send me a free copy as a token of their gratitude. No such luck.

Ibix said:
I posted my observation yesterday. I did not delete any posting on this.

Likes Ibix
My post on this as o.p. was not a complaint. The use of "USER" is better than just "PF".

I wonder if I am slightly dyslexic. I keep having to look twice to not see it this way:

Comunist.png

Algr, those or that looks like image based on screenshot or snipped screen portion, and not a difference based on what you believe you see. One would wonder, what more did you click on to show the ">> HOT THREADS" thing.

As I look again on the main PF page while signed in, I see a right-side panel with "Recent Insights", and below this is "HOT THREADS". Therefore, I believe you are seeing exactly what is actually displayed. Also those same things are shown in the right-side panel on main page while not signed in.

Looks like image manipulation in this case, but you can also change it in your browser.

1662619224283.png

mfb said:
Looks like image manipulation in this case, but you can also change it in your browser.

View attachment 313904
@mfb,
I just needed more time to look at the page carefully before I gave my response.

Algr said:
I wonder if I am slightly dyslexic. I keep having to look twice to not see it this way:

View attachment 313732
I did the same after reading a post regarding protection from radiation following a nuclear incident.
I need to stop doing that.

1. How does signing-in to PF change the "log-in" to "USER"?

When you sign-in to PF (Personal Finance), the system recognizes you as a user and changes the "log-in" to "USER" to indicate that you are now logged in and have access to your personal account.

2. Why does the log-in change to "USER" after signing-in to PF?

The log-in changes to "USER" after signing-in to PF to differentiate between logged-in users and non-logged-in users. This allows the system to provide personalized features and access to your account.

3. Can I change the log-in back to "log-in" after signing-in to PF?

No, the log-in will remain as "USER" while you are signed in to PF. This is to ensure that you have access to all the features and information related to your account.

4. Is there a difference between "log-in" and "USER" after signing-in to PF?

Yes, "log-in" refers to the act of entering your credentials to access the system, while "USER" refers to your logged-in status and access to your personal account.

5. How do I know if I am logged in as a "USER" on PF?

If you see "USER" displayed on the log-in button or in your account information, it means you are currently logged in to PF and have access to your personalized account.