Simple function questions - checking answer.

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
This will give you the correct domain for f(g(x)).g(x) ≥ 5x1/2 ≥ 5x ≥ 25Therefore, the domain of f(g(x)) is x ≥ 25.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

1) Given f(x)=x+3, x∈R and g(x)=x2,x∈R,0=<x=<4, find the range of composite function fg(x).

2) Given f(x)=x+1,x∈R,x>=5 and g(x)=x1/2, x∈R,x>=0. Find the domain of fg(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1), the answer 1 get is y=>3 , but the answer given is3=<y=<19.

2) the answer i get is x>=0 , but yet the answer provided is x>=25.

So what answers do you guys get? Anything wrong with the answers provided by the answer sheet? Cause i couldn't find anything wrong with my solutions... Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You almost had #1. You just didn't handle the other part of the inequality!

If you write out your work we can find where you went wrong.

Michael_Light said:
2) Given f(x)=x+1,x∈R,x>=5 and g(x)=x1/2, x∈R,x>=0. Find the domain of fg(x).

2) the answer i get is x>=0 , but yet the answer provided is x>=25.

The domain of f(g(x)) consists of all x-values is such that the g(x)-values maps to the domain of f(x). It can't be x ≥ 0 because the range of g(x) would be g(x) ≥ 0, and you would have values that are not permitted in the domain of f(x).

If you restrict the domain of f(g(x)) to be x ≥ 25, then the range of g(x) would be g(x) ≥ 5, which "matches" the domain of f(x). So x ≥ 25 is right.

QuarkCharmer said:
You almost had #1. You just didn't handle the other part of the inequality!

If you write out your work we can find where you went wrong.

I finally managed to get the correct answer for 1), can you help me with 2)? ><

eumyang said:
The domain of f(g(x)) consists of all x-values is such that the g(x)-values maps to the domain of f(x). It can't be x ≥ 0 because the range of g(x) would be g(x) ≥ 0, and you would have values that are not permitted in the domain of f(x).

If you restrict the domain of f(g(x)) to be x ≥ 25, then the range of g(x) would be g(x) ≥ 5, which "matches" the domain of f(x). So x ≥ 25 is right.

But how can i obtain x≥ 25 mathematically?Here is my approach... fg(x) = f(x1/2) = x1/2+1, x≥0. Domain of fg(x)= domain of g(x), hence domain of fg(x) is x≥0. Can anyone correct me?

Michael_Light said:
I finally managed to get the correct answer for 1), can you help me with 2)? ><

But how can i obtain x≥ 25 mathematically?Here is my approach... fg(x) = f(x1/2) = x1/2+1, x≥0. Domain of fg(x)= domain of g(x), hence domain of fg(x) is x≥0. Can anyone correct me?
You really should write this as f(g(x)), not fg(x), which is what is used for the product of two functions.

You are given that the domain of f is restricted to x >= 5. So although there are many values of x that are in the domain of g, there are some values of g(x) that aren't in the domain of f.

Some examples that use selected values of x.
x = 0. g(0) = sqrt(0) = 0. Can we evaluate f(0)? No, because 0 is not >= 5.
x = 1. g(1) = sqrt(1) = 1. Can we evaluate f(1)? No, because 1 is not >= 5.
x = 4. g(4) = sqrt(4) = 2. Can we evaluate f(2)? No, because 2 is not >= 5.
x = 9. g(9) = sqrt(9) = 3. Can we evaluate f(3)? No, because 3 is not >= 5.
Do you see where I'm going with this?

Michael_Light said:
For #2:

Since f(x) is defined only for x ≥ 5, find the values of x for which g(x) ≥ 5.

1. How do I check the answer for a simple function question?

To check the answer for a simple function question, you can plug in the given values into the function and solve for the output. Once you have the output, compare it to the expected answer to see if they match.

2. What if the answer I got is different from the expected answer?

If the answer you got is different from the expected answer, double check your calculations to make sure you didn't make any mistakes. You can also try plugging in the values again to see if you get the same result. If the discrepancy persists, seek help from a classmate or teacher.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my answer?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your answer for a simple function question. However, it's important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem rather than solely relying on a calculator.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving simple function questions?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in solving simple function questions. Make sure you understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problems, and then practice solving various types of function questions to build your proficiency.

5. Is it important to show my work when solving simple function questions?

Yes, it is important to show your work when solving simple function questions. This not only helps you to understand the steps involved in solving the problem, but it also allows your teacher to see your thought process and provide feedback on any mistakes you may have made.