Simple Harmonic Motion question

In summary, the question involves a 0.27 kg block oscillating on a frictionless surface with a displacement equation of x = (15 cm)cos[(5 rad/s)t + /2 rad)]. The oscillation frequency is 0.796 Hz and the maximum speed is 75 cm/s at a displacement of 0 cm. The maximum acceleration is 375 cm/s^2 at a displacement of -15 cm and 15 cm. To find the force, the equation F=-kx is used with k being in units of N/cm instead of N/m.
brett812718
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion question

Homework Statement

A 0.27 kg block oscillates back and forth along a straight line on a frictionless horizontal surface. Its displacement from the origin is given by the following equation.
x = (15 cm)cos[(5 rad/s)t + /2 rad)]
(a) What is the oscillation frequency? .796 Hz
(b) What is the maximum speed acquired by the block? 75cm/s
At what value of x does this occur? 0cm
(c) What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration of the block? 375cm/s^2
At what values of x does this occur? (Type your answers in any order. If there is only one answer, type 'none' in the second box.) -15cm 15cm
d) What force, applied to the block, results in the given oscillation?

Homework Equations

x(t)=Xm Cos(wt+phi)
F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved parts athrough c but I was not sure what to do for part d.
I had already solved for k in part a so I substituted the values for k and Xm into the F=-kx equation
F=-6.75(N/m) .15m=1.0125N
the form webassign wants the answer in is (_____ N/cm)x

Physics news on Phys.org
# Hi
# I think there may be a mistake in the question. The dimensionality of the force is N not N/cm.

notice that the answer is in the form of (-----N/cm)x. the question is asking for the force F=-kx so would the answer be k with units of N/cm instead of N/m?

# Oh, yes. I did not see x there. Then, I think your reasoning seems plausible. You should write -k in units of N/cm there.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts towards the equilibrium position. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of motion, where the object oscillates back and forth around a fixed point.

What are the requirements for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The requirements for SHM are a mass attached to a spring, with the spring being stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. The mass must also experience a restoring force that is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion and energy?

In SHM, the total energy (kinetic + potential) remains constant, as energy is constantly being converted between these two forms. At the equilibrium position, the kinetic energy is at its maximum and the potential energy is at its minimum. At the extremes of the motion, the kinetic energy is at its minimum and the potential energy is at its maximum.

How do you calculate the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period (T) of SHM can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant. This equation shows that the period is dependent on the mass and the stiffness of the spring. The larger the mass or the stiffer the spring, the longer the period.

What factors can affect the amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of SHM can be affected by the initial displacement of the mass from the equilibrium position, as well as any external forces acting on the system. Damping, or the presence of friction, can also affect the amplitude by reducing the amount of energy in the system and causing the oscillations to become smaller over time.