Simple prime/GCD proof question

• Thread starter jeffreydk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of GCD(a,b)=p_1^{n_1}p_2^{n_2}p_3^{n_3} \cdots p_k^{n_k}, where the exponent of each prime factor is the minimum of its exponent in the prime factorization of a and b. The conversation also mentions using the definition of GCD as a linear combination, but ultimately concludes that the proof is simpler by considering the fact that the GCD must be the smallest positive element in the set of all linear combinations of a and b.
jeffreydk
Hello, I'm working out of Hungerford's Abstract Algebra text and this proof has been bothering me because I think I know why it works and it's so simple but I can't figure out how you would show a rigorous proof of it...

If [tex]a=p_1^{r_1}p_2^{r_2}p_3^{r_3} \cdots p_k^{r_k}[/tex] and [tex]b=p_1^{s_1}p_2^{s_2}p_3^{s_3} \cdots p_k^{s_k}[/tex]

where [tex]p_1,p_2, \ldots ,p_k[/tex] are distinct positive primes and each [tex]r_i,s_i \geq 0[/tex] ,

then prove that [tex]GCD(a,b)=p_1^{n_1}p_2^{n_2}p_3^{n_3} \cdots p_k^{n_k}[/tex], where for each [tex]i \text{, } n_i=\min(r_i,s_i)[/tex].

I had thought I might be able to show it through using the definition of GCD as a linear combination--where the GCD, d, is the smallest positive element in the set

[tex]S=\big\{ d=am+bn \text{ } \vert \text{ } m,n \in \mathbb{Z} \big\}[/tex]

and therefore I could use that to show that the GCD(a,b) must be the minimum of each [tex]r_i,s_i[/tex]. But that just isn't working out and seems like it's making the proof too complicated anyway. I apologize that I don't have more of a solution worked out--any hint or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's the greatest!

jeffreydk said:
If [tex]a=p_1^{r_1}p_2^{r_2}p_3^{r_3} \cdots p_k^{r_k}[/tex] and [tex]b=p_1^{s_1}p_2^{s_2}p_3^{s_3} \cdots p_k^{s_k}[/tex]

where [tex]p_1,p_2, \ldots ,p_k[/tex] are distinct positive primes and each [tex]r_i,s_i \geq 0[/tex] ,

then prove that [tex]GCD(a,b)=p_1^{n_1}p_2^{n_2}p_3^{n_3} \cdots p_k^{n_k}[/tex], where for each [tex]i \text{, } n_i=\min(r_i,s_i)[/tex].

Hi jeffreydk! :smile:

Well, it obviously is a divisor of both … and if you multiply it by anything else, it won't be, and therefore …

:cool: it's the greatest! :cool:

ohh hah yes of course, thanks.

What is a simple prime/GCD proof question?

A simple prime/GCD proof question is a mathematical problem that involves proving the properties of prime numbers and the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two or more numbers. It often requires the use of mathematical reasoning and logic to demonstrate the validity of the given statements.

How do I solve a simple prime/GCD proof question?

To solve a simple prime/GCD proof question, you first need to understand the properties of prime numbers and GCD. Then, carefully examine the given problem and try to apply the relevant theorems or principles to find a solution. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

Why are prime numbers and GCD important in mathematics?

Prime numbers are important in mathematics because they are the building blocks of all other numbers. They have many unique properties that make them useful in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and combinatorics. GCD, on the other hand, is a fundamental concept in number theory that helps us understand the relationship between two or more numbers.

What are some common strategies for solving simple prime/GCD proof questions?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve simple prime/GCD proof questions. These include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by contrapositive. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts and techniques, such as factoring, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

Where can I find more resources to help me with simple prime/GCD proof questions?

There are many online resources available to help you with simple prime/GCD proof questions. Some good places to start include math forums, online communities, and math problem-solving websites. You can also consult textbooks or seek help from a math tutor or teacher for personalized guidance and support.