Simple Question Regarding Extenuating Circumstance

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
In summary: I don't feel it is necessary to include a rec letter from my current program, as I am confident that it would help my application.
Aero51
I am reapplying to graduate school after a very messy first semester at my current one. I have sufficient documentation justifying my withdrawal regarding my case. At one school I am applying too, the application offers a specific section for "supplemental material". Obviously I will be devoting this section to explaining my situation. Anyway, I am about finished with my essay and was considering ending the document with a sentence along the lines of:

"If there are questions that the committee feels were sufficiently addressed by document, feel free to contact me via email or phone."

I was also thinking about including a disclaimer, noting that I can produce an addition letter of recommendation from the school I left. But I don't feel this is necessary as I was there for only 2/3 of a semester and had serious medical issues going on that I did not know about until poop hit the rotorcraft.

EDIT:
Its be nice if I added a question:
Is that last sentence too bold? Does it imply there are issues I left out? Should I include an explanation of why I did not include letters of rec from my current school (to me it is obvious - perhaps this is the omitted issue)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of the disclaimer, you should just include the letter of recommendation from your current program. Having a a good rec letter from your current grad program will help your application immensely.

Disclaimer or not, I think the admissions committee at your prospective school will be suspicious if you don't include the letter from your current program. Is there any particular reason you are not including it?

I don't see any problem with leaving your contact info for further questions.

I was only at the school for 2 months before I had to leave. I don't see what they possibly could have recommended me for given my short visit and the fact that I had so much going on that I wasn't performing up to par. My professors did support my decision to withdraw - they saw what was going on and thought it would be in my best interest.

EDIT:
I did get the professor I TAed for to write me a letter of rec, but only for 1 school. The other school I just forwarded my letters from a previous admittance.

1. What is an extenuating circumstance?

An extenuating circumstance is a situation or event that is beyond a person's control and may have a significant impact on their actions or decisions.

2. How do extenuating circumstances affect scientific research?

Extenuating circumstances can impact scientific research by causing delays, altering the direction of the research, or affecting the validity of the results.

3. How should scientists handle extenuating circumstances?

Scientists should handle extenuating circumstances by acknowledging them and adjusting their research accordingly. They may need to seek additional funding, change their research methods, or collaborate with other researchers.

4. Can extenuating circumstances be used as an excuse for poor research outcomes?

No, extenuating circumstances should not be used as an excuse for poor research outcomes. Scientists have a responsibility to anticipate potential challenges and plan accordingly.

5. Are there any guidelines for dealing with extenuating circumstances in scientific research?

Yes, many scientific organizations have guidelines for handling extenuating circumstances in research. These guidelines may include seeking approval from ethics committees, documenting any changes made due to the circumstances, and being transparent about any potential impact on the research.