Simple Thermodynamics question: Temperature of water in a cup after adding cooler water to it

  • Thread starter Thread starter untilthecern
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
untilthecern
Gold Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
5
Homework Statement
I want to be ensure that I solved the question true.
Relevant Equations
Basic thermodynamic equations
There is water in a cup (which thermally insulated) with 75 °C of temperature and the mass of water is 0,25 kg. Then we are adding 20 °C and 0,35 kg of water into the cup. The heat capacity of water is c = 4180 J/kgK. What is the temperature of cup in the end? I found it 40 °C but I feel like I made a mistake somewhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Correction:
Then we are adding 0,35 kg of water at 20 °C into the cup.

Could you show us how did you arrive to that amount?
 
Lnewqban said:
Correction:
Then we are adding 0,35 kg of water at 20 °C into the cup.

Could you show us how did you arrive to that amount?
I forgot the formula that gives the final temperature from the given quantities, and then I used the ratio to find the final value. Since the mass of the added water is greater, the final temperature should naturally be closer to the added one's temperature. I first took the ratio of the masses and, since both are water, I thought the temperature should be divided according to the ratio of the masses. I took the difference between the initial temperatures, which is 55 K, and using the ratio of the masses (7/5), I divided by 7 and multiplied by 5. The answer came out to be approximately 40 and it's not closer to added water's temp. than the temp. of water in cup. I think I really ruined it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Gavran and untilthecern